• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Congestion charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congestion charge

What a complete farce. When this first came out I genuinely believed in it and thought it would work. Whats frustrating is when you hear Kkkkken defending it. i think there has been a 4% reduction in traffic, that is negligible and I'm sure on some routes the congestion is probably worse as they try and avoid CC routes.

Why do residents get a discount? If anything, they should pay double.

Comment

I think if they are serious about reducing traffic in London they need to have a major re-think and have a more radical plan. Maybe a priority lane, which you can only use if you have 3 people in your car.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
        Why do residents get a discount? If anything, they should pay double.
        I thought they were already paying the residents parking tax?
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Pedestrianise the whole city, right out to the Greater London boundary,l have some nice clean trams installed and make the M25 into a Park and Ride.
          It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            I thought they were already paying the residents parking tax?
            In Holland Park it's £150 pa parking and you get 90% off the congestion charge. It’ts worth just registering your car there.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
              Pedestrianise the whole city, right out to the Greater London boundary,l have some nice clean trams installed and make the M25 into a Park and Ride.
              Well as mental as it sounds not a bad idea! Trams work very well, Frankfurt for example has the best public transport system. Buses in London are a joke, but I guess trying to implement a tram system would be just too costly and complicated.

Comment

Quite right. Much better just to spend billions on a national road charging system...

...which won't work - obviously!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jawz
                  What a complete farce. When this first came out I genuinely believed in it and thought it would work. Whats frustrating is when you hear Kkkkken defending it. i think there has been a 4% reduction in traffic, that is negligible and I'm sure on some routes the congestion is probably worse as they try and avoid CC routes.
                  I have read 20% reduction, but the big advantage is more funds for public transport. Not a bad idea since most people won't stop using their cars until the working public transport system is already in place; even if it does smack a little of being told that you will pay for public transport, whether you use it or not.

Trouble is, good public transport makes sense for everybody, but the cheapskate British don't want to up the money for it. I suspect they bought Thatcher's old snake oil that you could pay less taxes and not lose out by it, and won't give up that idea in the face of the evidence.
                  God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                    ...make the M25 into a Park and Ride.
                    I think it's pretty much one already...
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X