• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'5 ways to save the world' BBC2 (last night)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'5 ways to save the world' BBC2 (last night)

The synopsis:

Five of the world's top scientists propose five radical scientific inventions which could stop global warming dead in its tracks. The ideas include: a giant sunshade in space to filter out the sun's rays and help cool us down; forests of artificial trees that would breath in carbon dioxide and stop the green house effect and a fleet futuristic yachts that will shoot salt water into the clouds thickening them and cooling the planet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/6298507.stm

The sunshade was great, he wanted to put 16 trillion mirrors (each 2ft across with onboard positioning computer and they would have to weigh only 1g) between the earth and the sun, the cost was something like 4x the US GDP and they would have to build a giant electromagnet powered cannon inside a mountain to launch each module of 1m mirrors! now that’s blue sky thinking
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

the cost was something like 4x the US GDP
    What a tragic waste?!!

Spending vast sums on preventing something that hasn't even been proved.

That money could save billions of lives if it were spent on real issues like clean water, AIDS, malaria, education, sustainable farming.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      What a tragic waste?!!

Spending vast sums on preventing something that hasn't even been proved.

That money could save billions of lives if it were spent on real issues like clean water, AIDS, malaria, education, sustainable farming.
      Are u for real? The whole 'global warming is a myth' krap? You need to get off your Xbox and pick up a newspaper, watch some TV or something. Maybe 10 years ago this was debatable because of lack of relevant scientific data, now this is not even a debate fool.

Comment

You believe it mate.

After trillions ££££££££'s are wasted on something that is clearly a natural cycle, think of what that money could do to better mankind in the quest to cure disease, poverty and war.

Think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawz
          Are u for real? The whole 'global warming is a myth' krap? You need to get off your Xbox and pick up a newspaper, watch some TV or something. Maybe 10 years ago this was debatable because of lack of relevant scientific data, now this is not even a debate fool.
          Another muppet who has swallowed the "global warming" bulltulip.
          We are in a natural cycle warming up from the last mini iceage.
          Prove otherwise.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Ok, lets all pay extra taxes and see what difference it's going to make = none. Whole of UK = 2% of global CO2 production. It's getting warmer, get used to it. Earth will readjust when all the fossil fuels are used up because energy production at this point will be essentially carbon neutral. Anyone love the summer last year ?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              Another muppet who has swallowed the "global warming" bulltulip.
              We are in a natural cycle warming up from the last mini iceage.
              Prove otherwise.
              Oh... ok I believe you over the advice given by climate scientists the world over... silly me
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
                Oh... ok I believe you over the advice given by climate scientists the world over... silly me
                Exactly. You know what is scary is that there are people out there that actually think global warming is a myth. I can hand on heart honestly say that I thought NO-ONE in here believed that global warming was a myth. This is very worrying.

And I'm not going to get into a debate about this being cyclic. True if you look back there have been cycles with warmer periods and cooler periods, but we are already way off the scale and if you look at the various charts that show the cycles you can see that currently we are not following the typical trend shown previously. We are not even close. Go and watch An Incovenient Truth you complete and utter ignorant morons.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg
                  Ok, lets all pay extra taxes and see what difference it's going to make = none. Whole of UK = 2% of global CO2 production. It's getting warmer, get used to it. Earth will readjust when all the fossil fuels are used up because energy production at this point will be essentially carbon neutral. Anyone love the summer last year ?
                  In the paper yesterday we contribute 15%...

Comment

Originally posted by Jawz
                    We were taught in the 50s and 60s that we were heading for an Ice Age. So be it, we are heading for an Ice Age. Maybe we are heading for short term global warming, CO2 is a small contribution. If we all went green today the earth will still get hotter in the short term (100-200 years)

The media is very select in what parts of the reports they publish, no I do not believe the media or politicians.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X