• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speeding fines

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speeding fines

Has anyone seen any anouncement that speeding fines are now earnings related and no longer fixed penalty? A guy I am working with got a speeding fine and found this out. Turns out it wasn't his car anyway - he was on a course at the time and could prove it!

Why should I pay more for a fine just because I earn more? If I was on benefits, have I committed less of a crime?!
    Bl**dy typical!!
    Last edited by Mustang; 21 February 2007, 13:14.

Sounds like twaddle
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I earn minimum wage, so no problem there.

I think fines where you go to court were always like this, and fines where the cameras get you are just a fixed fee.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

In some cases it is only fair, why should a footballer on 80k a week pay a £400 fine and get a 12 month ban when he raps his Bentley round a lampost cos' he was pissed when all he has to do is buy another one and hire a driver?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Because that is the tariff laid down by law. If the footballer can afford it then good for him. Or maybe you think he should be charged more when he buys petrol/eggs/TV licence etc.

Comment

Yes everything should be priced according to what you can afford.

This should be the next piece of New Lie legislation.

In this way, the underclasses can all live in big expensive houses and drive luxury cars.

Comrade, why should the poor not be able to afford what the rich have?

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
              Because that is the tariff laid down by law. If the footballer can afford it then good for him. Or maybe you think he should be charged more when he buys petrol/eggs/TV licence etc.
              Rubbish, its meant to be a penalty, a puishment something that would make him think about what he has done, not just the equivelent of the change he could find down the back of his Italian sofa.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Fines are a bad way of administering justice. Back in the days where everyone had a relatively fixed position in society they made sense, but nowadays they don't.

In my opinion it would be better to replace all fines with unpaid work for the community, that way people would be able to discharge their debt to society in a practical and cathartic manner.
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
                  In my opinion it would be better to replace all fines with unpaid work for the community, that way people would be able to discharge their debt to society in a practical and cathartic manner.
                  Or they could pay someone else to do the work for them...

Comment

No, no, you've got it all backwards. Back in the day fines were something quite different. Actually, back in the middle ages, I think the concept you refer to were a way for the Crown to raise money.

You wanted to eat meat? Well, as long as you paid the "appraised value" (taxation) of the game you took from the kings forest you could. Luckily for poor people there was an upper limit on this appraisal which was called the "fine".

Incidentally the concept of a poacher way more modern. In fact I don't think the word even existed pre-reformation.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X