• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to Emigrate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to Emigrate?

But where could I go? I can think of answers that would work if I were younger, but I'm nearly 56: too old for NZ or Australia.

My partner needs to work (psychologically) and is not in IT (Office manager, SAGE Payroll & Accounting). Also she wouldn't contemplate the US.

She also smokes: would like to be able to go out sometime and have a drink and a smoke. Went to Scotland at start of year and just didn't go out. Don't want that.

Don't have capital to buy house with. Dont have much savings either so desperately need to work for next 10 years on good pay.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

How about voluntary euthanasia?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

i know a few folks who have moved to Canada who are enjoying it out there. There is a points system dependant upon job and qualifications and unfortunately age!. You can take the test on the canada immigration web site

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        But where could I go? I can think of answers that would work if I were younger, but I'm nearly 56: too old for NZ or Australia.

My partner needs to work (psychologically) and is not in IT (Office manager, SAGE Payroll & Accounting). Also she wouldn't contemplate the US.

She also smokes: would like to be able to go out sometime and have a drink and a smoke. Went to Scotland at start of year and just didn't go out. Don't want that.

Don't have capital to buy house with. Dont have much savings either so desperately need to work for next 10 years on good pay.
        At your age, the place that immediately springs to mind is a retirement village
        Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter

russia? smokers paradise
          whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Another 5 years and we're off to the South West of France. Warmish weather, plenty of room, good food and wine and plenty of healthy cynicism amongst the locals.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

You don’t have many choices left, but if I was in your position I would consider Holland. Housing is good and the waiting list short. English widely spoken and accepted. Eg, you can take a driving test in English. There are many. Good social care for the retired. You could still contract in the UK while you wife works sets up residency and gets on the housing waiting list. Taxes a bit higher than the UK but that is debatable when you work out the overall taxation.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Canada's a reasonable bet - it's a points based system, but you lose points for every year over 50.
                Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by cityboy
                  i know a few folks who have moved to Canada who are enjoying it out there. There is a points system dependant upon job and qualifications and unfortunately age!. You can take the test on the canada immigration web site
                  I tried that and failed because of poor French!

Originally posted by HankWangford
                  russia? smokers paradise
                  No longer so, Aeroflot stopped it.

Found non smoking started in some Moscow restaurants and some of the Siberian Cities.
                  Last edited by Paddy; 21 February 2007, 12:59.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

When I get all depressed over reading the boasts of second houses, huge pots, retiring at 40 etc on here, posts like this cheer me up immensely. One essential for happiness is having somebody else to sneer at.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X