• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help!! - Contract Acceptance \ Starts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! - Contract Acceptance \ Starts

Right, I have a bit of a quandry and was hoping some of you with more experience than I may be able to point me in the right direction!

I am a newb contractor having worked as an employed consultant for the last 5yrs but the firm I was working for are strapped for cash and contracting looks like a good option for my life right now.

I needed to start a contract fairly rapidly as I still have wages outstanding from the old firm and I have my CV with several pimps. I had a telephone interview on Tuesday which was meant to follow on with a face to face, however, they called back late Tuesday to offer an immediate start. I stated I would be able to start on Thursday (not weds as they asked) as I had another interview lined up for this morning which I decided to attend for posterities sake.

So, the problem is - I am supposed to start contract A tomorrow but contract B (which pays slightly more & is a little closer) have decided that they will cancel the remaining interviews they have for tom. and have asked if I will start on Monday. I have not given a categoric yes to contract B yet. What to do??

How annoyed is a pimp likely to be if I don't start contract A.... Is it worth accepting contract B for Monday - starting contract A tomorrow and then saying it isn't the right role for me... or do I find a severe enough excuse... or (shock, horror), be honest??

Answers on a postcard please!!

Oh dear - is it me or are ALL the permies going contracting again?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_stepper
      Right, I have a bit of a quandry and was hoping some of you with more experience than I may be able to point me in the right direction!

I am a newb contractor having worked as an employed consultant for the last 5yrs but the firm I was working for are strapped for cash and contracting looks like a good option for my life right now.

I needed to start a contract fairly rapidly as I still have wages outstanding from the old firm and I have my CV with several pimps. I had a telephone interview on Tuesday which was meant to follow on with a face to face, however, they called back late Tuesday to offer an immediate start. I stated I would be able to start on Thursday (not weds as they asked) as I had another interview lined up for this morning which I decided to attend for posterities sake.

So, the problem is - I am supposed to start contract A tomorrow but contract B (which pays slightly more & is a little closer) have decided that they will cancel the remaining interviews they have for tom. and have asked if I will start on Monday. I have not given a categoric yes to contract B yet. What to do??

How annoyed is a pimp likely to be if I don't start contract A.... Is it worth accepting contract B for Monday - starting contract A tomorrow and then saying it isn't the right role for me... or do I find a severe enough excuse... or (shock, horror), be honest??

Do what you like - we are at war with the b@stards, afterall...
      The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Have you signed the contract ? If not then I guess your not obliged, however neing new to contracting you shouldn't start by pi$$ing of the agents straight away - if they are a big co who may have work for you in the future I'd stay with contract a - but then again I wouldn't have gone for the interview for contract b to start with.
        Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

A is with a big co and B with a small one.

You are probably right Bluebird and I shouldn't have gone for interview B.

Ah well, live and learn I guess

Comment

Sorry, let me define it further:

Contract A is from a large Pimp for a large public body, contract B is from a small pimp with a large PLC.

Comment

So lets get this straight. Option B pays more, is a smaller commute, it lets you spend the next two days at home w4nking to daytime tv and it also pisses off a pimp.

'Scuse me, but what dont you get?

Comment

Look at possible extensions too, easier at big companies where the extortionate rates don't stand out as much.
                Then let the agent for A make the decision - tell him you have been offered another contract for his rate + 20% and that if he can match it you will take his role. He will say no, you take job B. If he says yes - you are in the money.
                Don't tell him who it is with, if he gives you abuse, tell him to foad and write to his MD.
                HTH

Comment

Sorry, let me define it further:

Contract A is from a large Pimp for a large public body, contract B is from a small pimp with a large PLC.
                  Hummmm, 'large pubic body' (no jokes). Drop them quick. Look on this board. Public sector = trouble. Private sector not that far behind though, but be grateful for small mercies.
                  Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the comments and to reformation to for his honesty!

To let you all know, I spoke to the agency for contract A and explained that I had been offered a more local highing paying role and would be stupid to turn it down.. I blamed it on my contracting naievity.

Shock, horror, she was really understanding and said she would have done the same in my position too ( a weeding to pay for in August)... so contract B it is, A say they are gutted but relationship with them seems fine!

Everyone's a winner baby!!

Comment

Working...
                    X