• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What happened to the good IT jobs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to the good IT jobs?

And why there are all these ads in jobserve for jobs of 30-50k or contract for 250/300 pounds (in London I mean - perhaps outside this might be ok)?

Would you really work in IT for this money? I'd rather do something else.

I see where the money is gone now.... just go and make a search for business analyst, release manager and so on...

Question: how are they going to do a project without people of a certain IT knowledge and experience? Shall we all jump on a bandwagon?

Well, I have an ITIL certificate, for most that seems the only thing that got them the job. Or else let's do Prince 2 in the weekend.... and on monday I'll wake up as a project manager.

Shall we all jump on the new band wagon? Is this only temporary or IT is doomed to fail again?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

What happened to all the good IT jobs?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread14818.html

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      What happened to all the good IT jobs?

http://forums.contractoruk.com/thread14818.html
      That's why they need an army of release managers/proj mgrs/business analysts.... to cover the mess they are doing....
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        And why there are all these ads in jobserve for jobs of 30-50k or contract for 250/300 pounds (in London I mean - perhaps outside this might be ok)?

Would you really work in IT for this money? I'd rather do something else.

I see where the money is gone now.... just go and make a search for business analyst, release manager and so on...

Question: how are they going to do a project without people of a certain IT knowledge and experience? Shall we all jump on a bandwagon?

Well, I have an ITIL certificate, for most that seems the only thing that got them the job. Or else let's do Prince 2 in the weekend.... and on monday I'll wake up as a project manager.

Shall we all jump on the new band wagon? Is this only temporary or IT is doomed to fail again?

rates shocking at the moment, gone down 20% over past few months.
        jobs outside of london are sparse.
        it's just losing all appeal this lark
        whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

Depends what area you're in. Java/J2EE is booming with rates at least £350 and plenty over £400 - even outside London. A quick search of Jobserve permie roles also shows J2EE is quite healthy with salaries of £60k+ not uncommon.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Java is a legacy language. .Net is the future.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Java is a legacy language. .Net is the future.
              .NET could be the future if you could run it cross-platform - not everyone is an MS shop - and no, Mono doesn't count.

.NET (C# in particular) looks good, but I've yet to work anywhere that runs MS stuff across the entire server room which is pretty much a requirement for .NET

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                .NET could be the future if you could run it cross-platform - not everyone is an MS shop - and no, Mono doesn't count.

.NET (C# in particular) looks good, but I've yet to work anywhere that runs MS stuff across the entire server room which is pretty much a requirement for .NET
                .NET where possible then talk to other systems using web services. That is the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                  .NET where possible then talk to other systems using web services. That is the future.
                  And what language are the web services running on the other systems written in? Would still be plenty of J2EE work even in that (worst case) scenario. Java's not going anywhere in a hurry, so there's still plenty of £££s for me to make.

Comment

Surely .NET is the past by now? It's been around for ages.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X