• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COBOL is the future

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COBOL is the future

Senior Mainframe Analyst Programmer
    Work for one of the largest financial services organisations in the UK! This is an exciting contract role with very meaty, challenging projects which are highly interesting in today's market. You will have a solid Cobol II CICS DB2 VSAM JCL IBM mainframe programming career and will now be working with design teams and the issues around integrating mainframe and newer technologies. Please note that this is a business facing role, therefore excellent communication skills and largescale financial s
    Rate: £350 per hour Posted: 2007-02-21 12:55:07
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Correct, I got sent 6 COBOL jobs today and thats not even bothering to look at my Jobserve mail which probably has about another 10.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt
      Correct, I got sent 6 COBOL jobs today and thats not even bothering to look at my Jobserve mail which probably has about another 10.
      It was the 350/HOUR that I liked!

Seriously, what do you need to have with your COBOL to get contracts? I've got loads of experience but it's all old: with CICS, 370 JCL, VSAM etc. Oh yes, and BAL. Which I liked. But I don't know if there's a market for my knowledge in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
        Senior Mainframe Analyst Programmer
        Work for one of the largest financial services organisations in the UK! This is an exciting contract role with very meaty, challenging projects which are highly interesting in today's market. You will have a solid Cobol II CICS DB2 VSAM JCL IBM mainframe programming career and will now be working with design teams and the issues around integrating mainframe and newer technologies. Please note that this is a business facing role, therefore excellent communication skills and largescale financial s
        Rate: £350 per hour Posted: 2007-02-21 12:55:07
        Where was that job ad? I may be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956
          Where was that job ad? I may be interested.
          CUK job search, enter COBOL. It's one of the first few.

Comment

Wasn't there some guy thinking of updating COBOL, adding in some object oriented features, was going to call it: "Add 1 TO COBOL GIVING COBOL".
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
              Wasn't there some guy thinking of updating COBOL, adding in some object oriented features, was going to call it: "Add 1 TO COBOL GIVING COBOL".
              Not quite but there are OO features of COBOL. In fact COBOL can do a lot nowadays on the mainframe especially. As in:

* Enables interoperability with Java components across distributed applications
              * Promotes the exchange and usage of data in standardized formats including XML and Unicode
              * Supports Java interoperability by new object-oriented syntax
              * Integrates CICS translator
              * Provides XML and enhanced Unicode support
              * Provides enhancements to z/OS UNIX® System Services support for tolerating threads and asynchronous signals
              * Facilitates the reuse of existing applications in WebSphere® and traditional z/OS environments

I remember some years ago writing a massive COBL application which used a number of reuseable components which we christened POO, Psuedo Object Oriented
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The only COBOL worth knowing.

http://www.netcobol.com/products/windows/netcobol.html

Fujitsu NetCOBOL for .NET is a COBOL compiler created specifically for Microsoft's .Net Framework. This means that it:

Produces Microsoft's Intermediate Language (MSIL) that executes under the Common Language Runtime (CLR). This language-neutral, platform independent environment enables COBOL code to be mixed with any other .NET-supporting language (such as C# and VB .NET) on any .NET-supporting platform.
                Adapts OO COBOL syntax, and supports .NET-specific extensions, so that COBOL programs can be written to take full advantage of the .NET Framework classes.
                Media pack includes Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Standard Edition – a value-packed add-on delivering this award-winning development environment for NetCOBOL for .NET developers.
                These features allow you to bring COBOL fully into the world of Internet applications including XML Web services and ASP.NET pages, and to integrate that code with code written in other languages. The .NET Framework gives access to the latest technology and NetCOBOL for .NET ensures this is immediately available to COBOL programmers. COBOL-85 code and, with the help of NeoKicks, NeoBatch, and NeoSort, mainframe CICS and batch programs can be compiled and run, enabling you to leverage your current COBOL assets.

NetCOBOL for .NET can be purchased in three different packages: Professional, Developer, and Universal. The Professional package contains the .NET-supporting components and only supports the development of applications that will execute in the .NET environment. The Developer package adds NetCOBOL for Windows Standard Edition and multi-threaded run-time, giving the ability to develop native Windows applications as well as .NET-targeted applications and integrate the two together. The Universal package is a combination of the NetCOBOL for .NET Professional product and the NetCOBOL for Windows Enterprise Edition, giving you our top-of-the-line Windows application development environment along with the leading-edge NetCOBOL for .NET product.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  Q: What's the big advantage of OO programming?
                  A: You can save effort because you can reuse all your OO code.
                  Q: Great! How do we start?
                  A: First thing, rewrite all your code.

Comment

I remember whilst writing interfaces to mainframe applications, that one of them was written on "Object-Cobol". It was absolutely horrible. The guy who wrote it said "never again" .
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X