• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is NHS mandatory in UK ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is NHS mandatory in UK ?

Dear All,

I am a French citizen and plan to open an LTD in uk through an accounting company to work as an IT Contractor. I have a question about NHS :

If I open my ltd, should I subscribe to the NHS or may I choose a private company for my Health insurance ? If yes do you know any of these private companies which have a good quality of service ?

Thanks.

Pierre

Yes, you can go private, but you still have to pay the NI (supposedly for the NHS)

The reality is that NI is just another income tax, just given a fancy name so it doesn't look like income tax.
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

NHS is just there, you use it at your own risk!

You do not subscribe or unsubscribe it's just there.

For private health insurance try here
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Pierre

The NHS in the UK is mandatory. What I mean is that your taxes will pay for it if whether you use it or not. It is not an opt in or out option.

(in fact there are enough bloody moochers on the NHS that do not pay taxes!)

You will need to register yourself with your nearest GP (General Practitioner). Even if you have Private Health Insurance (which I would recommend!)

You will only be able to claim on your health if you go though a GP first.

PM me for more questions of this nature, as I’m sure the others on this board will start to tear you to shreds soon
        "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

The NHS don't send out bills, they just treat you. Its a bit like the pavement. When you walk on a pavement nobody demands any money. However it is also like the pavement in that if its faulty and you get killed nobody is responsible.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thanks for your answers, doesn't look bright, but as it is mandatory, I will have to pay for it .

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
              Thanks for your answers, doesn't look bright, but as it is mandatory, I will have to pay for it .
              It's not that bad. If you set up your limited company correctly then in total (including the NHS tax) you're going to be paying around about 30% tax. Probably less than you're paying right now from what I know of mainland Europe.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre
                Pierre,

You have a choice (depending on when you arrived in the UK etc). You do not have to pay UK national insurance. You can carry on paying in French social security - I think for up to 5 years. [I don't imagine that will be cost effective but may be beneficial]

Comment

Working...
                X