• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's the name of that place in Wales?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the name of that place in Wales?

Where it rains nearly everyday. Has a hydroelectric plant nearby.

And you can buy a postcard of it on a sunny day?
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Originally posted by threaded

Folkston?

Comment

Ffestioniog? It's got some sort of dam and turbine setup, I remember that.

Comment

Ffestiniog

My dad's company was involved in the building of that. Had a tour round the facilities once but I was knee high to a grasshopper at the time so don't remember much.

Do remember the visit to Trawsfyndd Magnox power station before my dad left to work on Dungeness B.
        Last edited by OrangeHopper; 22 February 2007, 19:41.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
          Ffestiniog

My dad's company was involved in the building of that. Had a tour round the facilities once but I was knee high to a grasshopper at the time so don't remember much.

Do remember the visit to Trawsfyndd Magnox power station before my dad left to work on Dungeness B.
          Dungeness B where they have to daily top up the CO2 coolant... and nobody can explain where the original has gone... where they bus in school kids from surrounding areas for 'visits' whose real purpose is to spread the incidence of childhood cancer to mask the local hotspot
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Ah Wales reminds of my time in Newport - hey you - shut that door open

Another fav: 'who belongs to this'
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I got a tour of Dungeness B. Best bit was scrambling between concrete containment and core.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll
                Dungeness B where they have to daily top up the CO2 coolant... and nobody can explain where the original has gone... where they bus in school kids from surrounding areas for 'visits' whose real purpose is to spread the incidence of childhood cancer to mask the local hotspot
                You think missing CO2 is a problem.

OH glows in the dark!
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by threaded

You might mean Dinorwig. It has a pumped storage system like Ffestiniog. They pump water to an upper lake during low demand hours and release the stored water down a tunnel through the mountain via a hydro turbine scheme during peak demand. It doesn't actually 'produce' electricity as such (ie. the net effect is a slight energy loss) however it is very useful at smoothing peaks and troughs of energy demand. The whole lot goes in about 16 seconds!

The upper lake is Marchlyn Mawr which I've visited a few times during trips in the mountains and the lower one is Llyn Peris near Llanberis. I've been to the Dinorwig visitor centre once many years ago. I think they call it "Electric Mountain" now. A good option for a wet day.
                  Last edited by oraclesmith; 23 February 2007, 00:40.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
                    Ffestiniog

We had a geography teacher go on about this place and the pumping of water... never thought I'd hear it again...that was almost 30 years ago...feck!
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X