• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are all agents t***ts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all agents t***ts

Hello everyone

I am a permie getting back into contracting, (why oh why did I ever go into a permie job) so got a call from an agent offering me this gig, job sounded ok and would of gone for it but when I told her what I wanted as a daily rate, was told there is no way I will get what I am asking for on a my first contract?!? And really tried to undersell me was a bit miffed by this and told them so (get the feelin I won’t be getting a call from them again lol)

Has this happened to any of you or am I a first (doubt it lol)

Because she thought you were new to the game she was trying to increase her commission. Standard practice in my experience. You were right to tell her to sod off. Don't worry, she'll come crawling back if she thinks you can still make her money...
    Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by QuietAlien
      Hello everyone

I am a permie getting back into contracting, (why oh why did I ever go into a permie job) so got a call from an agent offering me this gig, job sounded ok and would of gone for it but when I told her what I wanted as a daily rate, was told there is no way I will get what I am asking for on a my first contract?!? And really tried to undersell me was a bit miffed by this and told them so (get the feelin I won’t be getting a call from them again lol)

Send me all your references and job interviews you've had, along with who interviewed you and i'll see you alright guvna. I got a job werf £700 uh day jus for u m8.

Comment

you an agent?!?!?!

you sound just like an agent did you even look at my CV......... didnt think so...

Comment

Hello everyone

What was the rate? What skillset and location?

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
            What was the rate? What skillset and location?

the rate offered was 200 pd, skillset senior test analyst and in the city of culture (Liverpool)

Comment

the rate offered was 200 pd, skillset senior test analyst and in the city of culture (Liverpool)
              Yes its a bit low.

Comment

200pd is a good rate just as much as Liverpool is the city of culture.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Especially because Liverpool isn't the capital of Culture for another 10 months anyway. Right now it's Luxembourg and Sibiu in Romania, since you ask.

Interest rates and FTSE 100 have both gone up and up and up for 3 years now. All the permies are going contracting and you can get a wagyu and truffle burger in Clerkenwell. Sell oil and Microsoft, buy gold and Matalan. See you in '11.

tl

Comment

Hello everyone

To get good contracts you need a track record of completing successful
                    gigs in the particular area, it shows you can deliver the goods when required in the short period of time. also if you've done a similar contract you might already have a pre-built solution which just needs some customisations, this is the best way to sell yourself to the client as they know there not taking unecessary risks, also ensures that they pay you well.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X