• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are all permies tw**s?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all permies tw**s?

Got a permie a telephone interview (at the permies request) for a contract, says he is on 4 weeks notice. Client calls him on time and the permie announces that he is not available for 12 months. We subsequently get an email from the client with the words "time my totally wasted dealing are we why this agency with" in it (though in a different order).
    we ring said w*nker" who then says that he may leave depending on the offer.
    And you just think what a tw*t.

Give me a spivvy agent with a mission to place someone ahead of some feeble little prat who by virtue of nothing more than luck, happens to have a skill that is in demand.
    Last edited by DodgyAgent; 22 February 2007, 22:32.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

You have his address from CV etc? I will do his knee caps forra fiver.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
      Got a permie a telephone interview (at the permies request) for a contract, says he is on 4 weeks notice. Client calls him on time and the permie announces that he is not available for 12 months. We subsequently get an email from the client with the words "time my totally wasted dealing are we why this agency with" in it (though in a different order).

Give me a spivvy agent with a mission to place someone ahead of some feeble little prat who by virtue of nothing more than luck, happens to have a skill that is in demand.
      How many companies do put down good candidates for no good reason? How come now it is so strange that candidates put down companies......? ohhhhhh let me think.... it's just because you ONLY care about your own dirty business and you are a souless individual who would sell his grandmother for five pounds.... that's why...

Agents... shoot them at birth and solve most of our society's problems...

and chubba... am sure that there will be many chaps who will knee cap agents for fun.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

This is exactly why agents don't want to touch permies, this only needs to happen once and they won't touch a permie again.
        Availability is underestimated in this game, you have to get past the agent first and this is close to the top of their list.

Comment

Ah well, guess it makes up for the times when although the agent knows my availability is two weeks, sends me for an interview which goes well until the client says I need a start in the next few days........what was the agent hoping that i could just sack the current client off and up sticks!!!
          whats the lowest you can do this for?

Comment

No I'm with DA on this one. The guy got the ball rolling by telling the agent rubbish - knowing full well that he probably wasn't going to be available for 12 months. His dicking about to have his nerdy ego massaged has probably cost another contractor the chance.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
              No I'm with DA on this one. The guy got the ball rolling by telling the agent rubbish - knowing full well that he probably wasn't going to be available for 12 months. His dicking about to have his nerdy ego massaged has probably cost another contractor the chance.
              I agree that it's not professional. He didn't want to take the job and made up an excuse. But then again, how many companies do that when they reject you? How many call interviews before the budget is approved? How many of them disappear after you went to the interview? How many companies organise interviews as a masquerade only to show it to more senior managers when they know very well they can't hire people?
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

An aternative version of this truth is that he made a tentative enquiry on the back of an exciting Jobserve ad placed by said agency. After being pumped up by an eager agent, he had the interview expecting the client to welcome him with open arms, only to find the role was much worse than his current one, with actual rates falling far short of promised ones. When the client asked when he could actually start he responded by saying that it would depend on the offer made. When the client pressed him to give a date, he said that based on current workload in his permie job, he could be slack enough in about a year to consider the clients paltry offer.

PS. It's not me!
                It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                  I agree that it's not professional. He didn't want to take the job and made up an excuse. But then again, how many companies do that when they reject you? How many call interviews before the budget is approved? How many of them disappear after you went to the interview? How many companies organise interviews as a masquerade only to show it to more senior managers when they know very well they can't hire people?
                  I agree it doesn't look professional from dodgy_agents description.

I've a few more for your list:-

How many times does the client HR dept interfere in the process and cause delays in the clients project and lose good contractors to other roles?

How many times do you get called for interview only to discover the client only really wanted to pump you for advice?

How many times does a client put out a contract ad only to see what the market is like, before doing a permanent recruitment for the same role?
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                  X