• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Resignation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resignation

Hi,
    Has anybody resigned from a contract you had just started and what the implications are thereafter?
    I know it will look bad and give a bad rep but I have genuine family reasons and dont wish to pee anybody off in the process. How to deal with the agency, umbrella and company?? Notice period says 4 weeks I could do two more but no more. Should I offer this or go straight away?
    Any good advice welcomed.

So you've signed a legal contract and aren't bound by oits terms? Hmm, interesting...

There is no way not to upset people, unless you can find a suitable substitute. Your personal problems, no matter how serious, are sadly not part of the equation.

I'd talk to the client, first - the rest don't really matter. It's the client who will lose (as well as you, of course!)

Comment

But does the fact that I am still just within the first month make it easier to walk away?? I cannot find and T&C's in the contract as I cant see the feking thing as I signed it online and assumed I could get access to it anytime, which i cant

Comment

You've signed a contract you haven't read and don't know what it contains. Better and better... This is not supposed to be a game, strangely enough.

Anyway, I should contact your agent and ask them what the terms are. You should also warn your client that you are about to vanish. Both might have a view on your conduct and I suspect netiher will want you back. If your reasons are good enough, you might just be in luck - but don't count on it!

Good luck, anyway

Comment

The contract was a standard fare one from an umbrella company. It says on their web site that you can view contracts online anytime. I did run through it and everything looked ok but at the time was not considering leaving before the finish, I failed to save a copy assuming I would a)be sent one and b) I could view it anytime and it is my first contract since leaving permie world.

Comment

ITCON1 - if your circumstances are genuine I wish you the best of luck and you have my best wishes - may be worth trying a compromise solution like working from home part of the time or reducing the contract weekly hours to accommodate your unforeseen personal circumstances.

The problem is that too many contractors find a contract nearer home or a better rate elsewhere and seek the easy way out, giving us all a bad name. This sort of chavlike behaviour is unforgiveable and will get no sympathy on this forum !!

Comment

Working...
            X