• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC Support 69GBP per hour London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Support 69GBP per hour London

'Computer chaos

In the office, you can simply call IT for help. But what do you do when your personal computer at home breaks down?

So far your solution might have been to turn to impenetrable instructions or a pricey helpline, or simply to shout a stream of expletives. But there are now more constructive alternatives.

Scooter Computer (scootercomputer.co.uk) charges £69 for the first hour, and the same per hour after that; there's no callout charge. Technicians are on call, on motorbikes, seven days a week and cover central and south-west London.

The service, set up just over a year ago, is aimed at "improving users' IT experience without the stress".

"We get calls on broadband connections, computers that won't start and emails not sending," says manager Dan Haysom.

Scooter also provides data backups, disaster recovery, the transfer of CD music to iPods, virus protection, and even computer lessons at £55 an hour.

Other services include Geeks on Wheels (geeks-on-wheels.com).',

http://money.independent.co.uk/perso...cle2302940.ece

There's your plan b lads

Milan.

The Home Office has just announced there is a shortage of geeks on motorbikes, and has announced an additional 45,000 work permits to be made available.

At the same time, HMRC has announced an additional tax on geeks on motorbikes, people who may be deemed to be geeks, or geeks who may be considering buying a motorbike.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Apparently Ken Livingstone has put out a press release today announcing a new class of congestion charge for geeks on motorbikes. Special x-ray camera's will be clocking any motorbikers carrying 'IT maintenance equipment' such as USB cables, laptop batteries and iPods. Anyone carrying these items will be charged £47 the first time they cross into the congestion zone and £15 per hour thereafter until they exit.
      It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

The problem with "low level" tech support jobs like this is that I just don't think there is a growing market for it.

Comment

Frankly it doesnt matter... if you make money, but are not in a position to influence governmenment decisions - either directly or through lobbying, they will tax you until it does not make economic sense to be in business.

As long as you are in a social group that doesn't traditionally vote labour.
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
            The problem with "low level" tech support jobs like this is that I just don't think there is a growing market for it.
            I am afraid it will be the only market left in a few years. With all consultancy/software development/system administration jobs outsourced to India, China, etc. what are going to be the only jobs left?

Changing tape, replacing ink cartridges, swap motherboards and so on....

Well, it's good for Milan in case he wants to go back to the UK.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Cash in hand too :-)

Comment

Girlies sisters boy get 1200 Dkk per hour (£108) for IT support. He wants to get into programming as it's on Jylland so there can be a fair old drive occasionally.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Franko,

I think you'd do a lot less winging and be in a much better position is you devoted more time to working on your own situation than commenting on that of others.

For the record, you can rest assured as long as there are tapes to be changed for a handsome rate I'll do it, and when it dies I'll jump onto the next thing.

All the best.

Milan.

Comment

Quite right Milan. I sometimes get the 'we think you might get bored' response when I apply for easy work on acceptable rates. I'm always tempted to say 'Well I'll sweep the computer room floor if you PAY ME the rate' but I usually end up giving them some line about being a great team member and saying there's challenge in every piece of work.

It's always bemused me. Why do they ask this?
                    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Working...
                    X