• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FT: Call to act on flood of foreign IT staff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FT: Call to act on flood of foreign IT staff

Maybe the message will get across this time if the FT covers it this way.

FT - Get it before it goes into the subscription section.
    Drivel is my speciality

crikey,

number of computer science applicants has halved in the last five years

future's bright

Milan.

Comment

'Computer Science' is a BS course anyways.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

yes I know

and your point is ?

Milan.

Comment

My point is that it's only a barometer of the students who won't go the distance anyways.

Comment

granted

sorry about that

got a lot on this morning and read your post wrong

damn they're making work on this contract

hopefully next one will be back to feet on the desk and doing
            nothing

Milan.

Comment

India’s National Association of Software and Service Companies, the trade body, said intra-company transfers were crucial to supporting trade. “If a company cannot transfer some of its staff between countries, then it is very difficult for it to trade between countries.”

“If there are ever any specific cases of alleged ICT abuse, then of course these should be investigated thoroughly. But we should not use this as a backdoor route to stifling trade. It is growing trade that is strengthening the UK economy,” it said.

That's awfully nice of those Indian chappies at the National Association of Software and Service Companies. They are worried about the effect of stopping the free-for-all ICT visa scam on the UK economy.

Comment

Well, I'd suggest they've got more of our interests in mind than that New Lie government.

Comment

In a "glass-half-full" outlook, this could be a great opportunity. If you remember, due to Y2k, .com etc, every man and his dog decided to go into IT.

When I did CS in the early/mid 90s - it was in a class of 50 (half of whom shouldn't have really been there). come Y2k, that same class numbered hundreds.

Anyway, the old supply & demand did not look good for market rates. Fast forward till today, kids don't want to do it because of all the bad news coming out of the IT job market over the past few years, so downstream there will be little homegrown supply of IT people.

NL will eventually be kicked out, the work permit situation (could be) reversed. Lots of work, nobody to do it - you know what happens next to rates.

Bingo - retire by 45.

Comment

sorteeeeeed

replace 45 with 40

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X