• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giant Finally Unveils New Trailblazer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giant Finally Unveils New Trailblazer

I've been waiting for Giant to unveil their new Trailblazer service. They finally did this on Friday - although it's not shown yet on their public site. Looks like it will be £33 per week(basic), which I've calculated is £144 per month. Even though they appear to have some nice 'features' - I'm not so sure it's worth being twice as much as using an Accountancy firm. I've highlighted the fees in bold. What strikes me also are the one off fees - such as £295 for abbreviated accounts and £60 for each VAT return. Are these reflective of what other accountants charge for these items?

What do people think? :

Limited company support services
    on line company formation including paye and vat registration assistance
    o online easy set up
    o 4 hour service subject to Companies House backlogs
    o on line company name search, Mem and Arts, registration certificate
    o cost £25.21 (£15+£10.21) + vat of £1.79 (vat on £10.21) = £27.00 £30 One off Fee
    o guidance notes to ensure Directors always make considered and
    o informed decisions
    o requests from giant for decisions and/or directions from the Director
    o clients pay for company prior to ordering by on line credit card.
    o clients who subsequently take giants bookkeeping services will have this
    o fee refunded against their initial invoices

bank account set up
    o online easy set up N/A
    o high street bank
    o bank interest
    o massively discounted CHAPS fees
    o on line banking integrated into giant portal
    support services (all online)
    integrated giant portal, bookkeeping / on line banking portal
    o on line High Street Bank co-branded banking portal including payments
    o no restrictions on payments
    o ability to make daily payments
    o choice of bacs and chaps
    o funds received and paid alerts
    o 24/7 bank reconciliations and bookeeping (no need to complete spreadsheets!)
    o 24/7 analysis of current cash balances showing salary, expenses, advances, taxes etc owing and available dividends bookeeping for any unlimited combination of 'pass' and 'fail' ir35 assignments
    o pro forma invoice, letterhead, business cards
    o dividend calculations on demand
    o unlimited number of dividend declarations and payments (daily if you want to!)
    o dividend paperwork
    o dividend payment summary by tax year
    o calculate and advise on level of salary for 'fail' IR35 contracts
    o guidance notes to ensure Directors always make considered and informed decisions
    o client service manager
    o automated compliance audit log for all actions/communications
    o using giant nominated bank account

£23 Basic Weekly Fee for above

payroll and expenses:
    o expense management system including tracking
    o expense guidance in line with HMRC policies
    o flexibility to fully, partly or not pay expenses at any time
    o unlimited use of the expense management system
    o payroll calculations - no limit to how many calculations, payslips, and payments (daily if you want!)
    o on line payslips
    o preparing a payment instruction to HMRC for the required amount for Directors online approval
    o payment reminder alerts
    o flexibility to change salary instructions at anytime
    o unlimited number of employees
    o integrated into bookeeping and banking portal
    o provide comprehensive faq's
    o guidance notes to ensure Directors always make considered and informed decsions
    o requests from giant for decisions and/or directions from the Director (eg. salary level, when to pay)
    o cost per employee £5 per week
    o year end returns (p35, p60 and p11d) per employee £65 Per Year

vat returns:
    o accounting on an ongoing basis for vat
    o preparing a quarterly vat return for approval
    o preparing a payment instruction to HMRC for the required amount for Directors online approval
    o integrated into bookeeping and banking portal
    o comprehensive faq's
    o guidance notes to ensure Directors always make considered and informed decisions
    o quarterly vat return and above: flat rate vat scheme £60 per return
    o xxx standard rate vat scheme £85 per return

year end accounts and tax computations
    o preparation for Director approval and filing with companies house and HMRC of year end statutory accounts
    o preparation for Director approval of the year end tax computation (CT600)
    o preparing the corporation tax payment instruction to HMRC for the required amount for Directors online approval
    o comprehensive faq's
    o annual accounts and tax computation if giant have provided services for
    o bookeeping, payroll/expenses, and vat where applicable
    abbreviated accounts + tax computation 295 per set
    full accounts + tax computation 350 per set

insurances
    o employers £10m/public liability £5m %TBA of turnover
    o professional indemnity %TBA of turnover
    o policies shown on the portal
    IR35
    o independent contract reviews £25
    o IR35 insurance 0.35% of turnover
    o all correspondance/contract reviews etc held on the portal
    HR
    o over arching employment contract £50
    o annual over arching calculation to ensure compliance with travel and subsistance legislation £25

technical advice
    o independent advice re tax, employment, legal, health and safety etc.
    o all communication via the portal
    o quotes and deadlines provided for work required

other
    o if not using giant's nominated bank there is an additional bookeeping fee £5 Per Week
    o if giant are not bookeeping for all items in the last quarter (eg. not doing payroll and/or vat returns) and have not processed the last vat return then the year end accounts and tax computation fee is subject to quotation but a minimum of £1000
    o existing contractors who want to join giant will have a fee quoted upon joining to see if work needs to be done to bring their account/returns upto date prior to being eligible to take any services
    o externally requested accountants references £50

payment of fees
    o company formation and technical advice are paid upfront by on line credit card
    o all other fees are invoiced by giant weekly or when they occur (vat returns quarterly, annual accounts annually etc)
    o invoices and online payment instructions are placed in the portal awaiting authorisation from the Director.
    o Payments terms are 10 days unless required before work is undertaken. After 10 days interest can accrue at 3% over base rate. After a further 14 days giant can stop the services with the exception of the banking portal where applicable. After a further 16 days giant can terminate the agreement without notice.
    o minimum service re-instatement fee £50

All fees are quoted excluding VAT except company formation which is inclusive of VAT.

Expensive, based on the above a full service will be over £2000 per annum!

Comment

It also seems unnecessarily complicated.
      P.S. What Spreadsheet? Revolutionising the contracting market again.

Comment

I worry about new contractors who can't set up a Ltd or open a bank account without assistance...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

That is harendous!!!!!

Cheezuz christ half of that stuff is just bollax and isnt even relevant.
          Half of those things you can do yourself in less than 10min such as VAT returns! They are charging £60 per return so thats £240 a year just for that!!!!

Man dont get sucked in by all this crap. Half of it is irrelavant and just plain rubbish.

Hook yourself up with someone like Nixons or the like and save yourself the complexity and a shed load of cash!!!

Man it isnt difficult running your own ltd company. I wish contractors would realise that because that is what Giant is feeding off
          Keep it clean!!!

Comment

Yes - I already got the impression they were trying it on! It's surprising they've come up with something so expensive. I'd already researched the three main players who post on here the last few months, and am more or less decided I'll be going with one of them.

I thought you'd all be interested, however, in what they have come up with.

Out of interest, is it a good idea to start using my new ltd company from the start of the new tax year? If I start before then won't this mean I'd have to submit returns for just a few weeks of this Tax year? Can I set up my company in advance, but not start trading till April? Or does none of this matter so much?

Comment

Originally posted by rawly
              Out of interest, is it a good idea to start using my new ltd company from the start of the new tax year? If I start before then won't this mean I'd have to submit returns for just a few weeks of this Tax year? Can I set up my company in advance, but not start trading till April? Or does none of this matter so much?
              It doesn't really matter, yes there may be forms but your accountant should handle this.

You can set the company in advance and start tradind in april if you prefer. It seems that the VAT people are straining with the extra workload so the sooner you have it set up the better?

Alan

Comment

I think their new service is a rip off and they are making it look like they are doing a favour.

I would steer clear of them

Comment

I suppose they have to find some other way of fleecing lazy high income IT contractors now that MSC's are going down. I guess they're banking that contractors will dimiss their fees as insignificant compared to high daily rates - the 'yeah it's £60 a week but I could earn that in an hour' mentality.

I assume their IR35 insurance is for legal expenses, and it seems expensive for that - say £250 for a £70k turnover whereas you can easily get it for about £75 from a proper broker.
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Sad thing is they will still find people joining them.

Comment

Working...
                    X