• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I claim VAT or PAYE back on a computer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I claim VAT or PAYE back on a computer?

Hi All
    I am an IT contractor working through an umbrella company. My work is in addition to my day job so I only earn about an extra £4-5k a year from it. I would like to buy a new laptop as my old one is old and slow (although there is nothing actually wrong with it). Obviously as I am an IT contractor, a computer is vital to my work.

Is there anyway I can claim it as an expense and not pay VAT and/or income tax on it?

Thanks

Probably best to ask your umbrella company about their expenses policy.

If you were working thru you're own ltd co, you could put the laptop down as an expense BEFORE you get taxed, therefore saving you paying 19% Corp Tax on the amount.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
    X