• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How the f**k is this the UK's fault?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the f**k is this the UK's fault?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6396599.stm

Eurotunnel win compensation from both the French AND UK governments for the mess at Sangatte.

Bearing in mind the EU member state where an immigrant first lands is responsible for the management of that immigrant, why should the UK have to pay Eurotunnel for the inability of the continental member states to manage immigration?

Bah humbug!!!

Older and ...well, just older!!

Because EuroTunnel is a private company and it is not its job to enforce Govt rules - if unenforcement of such rules by respective Govts hits the private company then it is reasonable that said company should be compensated.

The UK pays because it's own enforcement on it's own end was poor which was the reason immigrants were using this route in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6396599.stm

Eurotunnel win compensation from both the French AND UK governments for the mess at Sangatte.

Bearing in mind the EU member state where an immigrant first lands is responsible for the management of that immigrant, why should the UK have to pay Eurotunnel for the inability of the continental member states to manage immigration?

Bah humbug!!!

If you have taken a car through the tunnel you would know...

The UK has jurisdiction on part of the French side. The French have jurisdiction on part of the UK side
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        The UK has jurisdiction on part of the French side. The French have jurisdiction on part of the UK side
        I think these were implemented in response to the Sangatte issue. It was still under French control at the time.

Comment

I think you both miss the point. The immigrants should not have been in Sangatte in the first place. If they landed in France, the problem belongs to the french, if they landed in Italy, the problem belongs to the Italians etc etc.

Sangatte existed because it suited the French to have the asylum seekers as close as possible to England to offload the problem.

Fecking big bunch of bollocks, thats what it is...

Comment

Paddy and TwaTTy: The point is that migrants are meant to be dealt with at their point of entry into the EU. The only way these chaps could be at Sangatte is if they have entered and crossed another EU country. Ergo: It can nto be the UK's fault.

No way can this be seen as a cost to the UK.
            The simple fact is that Germany, France, Italy et all turn a blind eye to refugees expressing an interest in getting into the UK.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
              If they landed in France, the problem belongs to the french
              Yes but those immigrants were running away (with probably silent consent of the French) via the tunnel into the UK - whatever the French did it certainly did not justify lax security on the British part.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                Yes but those immigrants were running away (with probably silent consent of the French) via the tunnel into the UK - whatever the French did it certainly did not justify lax security on the British part.
                I'm sorry - I'm trying to find some logic in there somewhere...

...nope - I'll try SKA!

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Paddy and TwaTTy: The point is that migrants are meant to be dealt with at their point of entry into the EU. The only way these chaps could be at Sangatte is if they have entered and crossed another EU country. Ergo: It can nto be the UK's fault.

No way can this be seen as a cost to the UK.
                  The simple fact is that Germany, France, Italy et all turn a blind eye to refugees expressing an interest in getting into the UK.

Yes I agree with you. But the UK does control half the border on the French side. It is sovereign British soil. It has been so since the beginning of the operation of the tunnel.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                    Yes I agree with you. But the UK does control half the border on the French side. It is sovereign British soil. It has been so since the beginning of the operation of the tunnel.
                    Yes, I know. That is besides the point. Euro Tunnel is claiming compensation for lost revenue and costs due to refugees causing security problems. The majority of it due to Sangatte. To get to Sangatte the fugees must have crossed into the EU somewhere else.
                    It is the somewhere else that should be paying this bill.

The UK should be claiming compo from all other EU states when refugees come in via the mainland.

FFS
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X