• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How good is to be in the UK any longer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good is to be in the UK any longer?

So here we go to Milan's territory. But at one stage I am starting to agree with him.

Being here on and off since the year 1999 I must say that in the year 2007 things have gone out of hands in UK, and London especially.

What's the benefit of living in London any longer? The house prices have just gone way beyond the human thoughts. You need something like a million pounds to buy a nice house in a decent area. And what for? To pay a huge chunk of money to the council so they can waste it as much as they want? Trains are incredibly overpacked with millions of commuter who enjoy a 4-hour trip to London to be able to live somewhere that is affordable. Crime has been steadily growing in London, despite the lies in the statistics, nothing seem to be safe anymore. Workplaces seem even worse than what they used to be. Everybody is afraid that his job is going to be outsourced and as a result you need to work long hours to keep up with your workload.

Are things going a bit out of hand or it's only me being a bit miserable at this time? Has Euroland definitely given a kick to UK-american lifestyle? Will things get better/worse?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Originally posted by Francko
    So here we go to Milan's territory. But at one stage I am starting to agree with him.

Being here on and off since the year 1999 I must say that in the year 2007 things have gone out of hands in UK, and London especially.

What's the benefit of living in London any longer? The house prices have just gone way beyond the human thoughts. You need something like a million pounds to buy a nice house in a decent area. And what for? To pay a huge chunk of money to the council so they can waste it as much as they want? Trains are incredibly overpacked with millions of commuter who enjoy a 4-hour trip to London to be able to live somewhere that is affordable. Crime has been steadily growing in London, despite the lies in the statistics, nothing seem to be safe anymore. Workplaces seem even worse than what they used to be. Everybody is afraid that his job is going to be outsourced and as a result you need to work long hours to keep up with your workload.

Are things going a bit out of hand or it's only me being a bit miserable at this time? Has Euroland definitely given a kick to UK-american lifestyle? Will things get better/worse?
    Go and live in Poland it has everything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobra
      Go and live in Poland it has everything you need.
      Lithuania. And yes it has a lot of things that I can't use anylonger. Lots of young pretty single females.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Franko,

let me give you a tip.

Liquidate what you have in the UK

Move somewhere where the cost of living is more reasonable BUT WITH good travel communications, spain, portugal, italy, france, czech republic, poland etc

then

find a contract on the mainland or in the UK

BUT

it has to be a contract where you can do at least one day a week from home

OR

find a contract only for four days a week

that means you'll be away from home three nights a week

commute using cheap flights

the £££ will be fine

and you will live somewhere nice

Howzat

Milan.

Comment

and the cost of living will be much lower than the UK

and you will be saving for retirement

and your quality of life will go up

and your kids will get a better education and be bilingual ready for whatever the future throws at them

and your missus will be happy and you'll get more jiggy jiggy

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
            and the cost of living will be much lower than the UK

and you will be saving for retirement

and your quality of life will go up

and your kids will get a better education and be bilingual ready for whatever the future throws at them

and your missus will be happy and you'll get more jiggy jiggy

Milan.
            Yes, seems like nearly everywhere in europe standards are higher nowadays. Soon even in Poland, despite what people might think. Nonetheless I do believe it wasn't like this 5-10 years ago.

Comment

I agree, this place is pants and I'm now officially throwing my toys outta the pram.

Comment

milan - i believe francko is a permie so the words 'get a contract' are probably the most important of your post...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

not necessarily

as we know with the budget airlines it is now cost effective to have a good paying job (can be permy or contract) in the UK (or elsewhere) and fly back and forth from south of france, spain, cz, pl, etc

and if you can negotiate 1 or more days a week working from home or vice versa only a 4 day working week (and the drop in pay) then this 3 nights away from home regime becomes something to seriously consider

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by ratewhore
                    milan - i believe francko is a permie so the words 'get a contract' are probably the most important of your post...

I am going for contracts only at the mo. And what's your point anyway? Even with 600 pounds a day in London what can you buy? A 2-bed ex-council flat in East London? Good luck, bro.

Comment

Working...
                    X