• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First contract interview on Wednesday!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First contract interview on Wednesday!

I am currently permy and have my first interview as a contractor on Wednesday, is it going to be any different to a permy interview?
    One thing is I wont be going in quite so dressed up suited and booted as Ill be going on the motorbike, They are a casual dress company anyway.

So any advice? I expect it to be pretty hardcore though and they probably wont care so much about future etc etc

I think you'll be suprised - I find contract interviews a breeze. "Do you know your stuff?" "Yes" "You're hired".

Where as permie jobs - they make you jump through hoops for those!

Just be confident, keen, keep eye contact and smile. And if they're one of these "casual dress" places, then be very laid back too.

You'll be great - good luck!!
    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mervalous
      I am currently permy and have my first interview as a contractor on Wednesday, is it going to be any different to a permy interview?
      One thing is I wont be going in quite so dressed up suited and booted as Ill be going on the motorbike, They are a casual dress company anyway.

So any advice? I expect it to be pretty hardcore though and they probably wont care so much about future etc etc
      Nothing can be as annoying and disturbing as a permie interview. They want gods for the price of monkeys, they check all your cavities and do a brain scanner. And most of the time they come up with something like "you don't fit in our corporate culture"(where? do you have culture? you are just a bunch a losers). So I would expect much less cr@p.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

They might be a "casual company" but do you not think they make an effort when going out on a pitch to clients? You think their sales staff turn up on a motorbike with leather trousers and a stupid iron maiden t-shirt? Or do you think they might dress smart to try and win the pitch?

Wear a suit you scruffy sod. Are you really cut out to be in business? If you really want to show "corporate fit" then maybe drop the tie, but thats it.

Comment

I am guessing you dont know anyone who rides a motorbike? I dont use leathers I use textile over gear, Ill be wearing a shirt and trousers.

Iron Maiden???? Oh I must have long hair and tattoos as well, fancy joining me in the hells angels?

Originally posted by pickle
          They might be a "casual company" but do you not think they make an effort when going out on a pitch to clients? You think their sales staff turn up on a motorbike with leather trousers and a stupid iron maiden t-shirt? Or do you think they might dress smart to try and win the pitch?

Wear a suit you scruffy sod. Are you really cut out to be in business? If you really want to show "corporate fit" then maybe drop the tie, but thats it.

Comment

Oh I must have long hair and tattoos as well, fancy joining me in the hells angels?
            You too, wonderful. What chapter are you a member. Maybe we could, er, get to know each other better?
            How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
            Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

I dont like Harleys, I doubt they would let me in

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke
              You too, wonderful. What chapter are you a member. Maybe we could, er, get to know each other better?

Comment

Had 2 day-long 7 hour permie interviews for frankly middle-range jobs, in-box test, psychometric, role-play blah blah blah - basically hell.
                Contract interviews are very different with 2 prioriities -
                1. Can this person do exactly what we need right now, not with potential or in a month or so but starting tomorrow ?
                2. Will he fit in with the team, get on with all the people he might meet at any level of the company - can he be trusted ? DON'T underestimate how important it is that they like you.

Expect an hour, less if they don't like you, possibly an extra hour to meet someone more senior.
                Look the part, regardless of what they are all wearing, professional sets you up as someone to be respected, you can turn on the personality to be the person who fits in.

Comment

Ok I think I might just get the tube OR potentially take my suit up with me, Ill have to think it over tonight.

Comment

Do you think this is the right attitude?

As a contractor you are running a business and this is a sales pitch as much as an interview.
                    You may get away with a relaxed dress code, but I find it is better to make a professional impression first and that usualy starts with a smart suit.

For the interview itself you may find it is similar to a permy one, it all depends on the client.
                    Remember they are your client.
                    All your answers should be along the lines of I can be and do whatever you want, but I am not your employee.
                    Tell them that you are a business and your business dictates what you can and can not do at the coal face.
                    Never ever tell lies. That damages the rest of us too.
                    Be willing to walk away.
                    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                    X