• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train driver a hero?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Train driver a hero?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/6399609.stm

Eh... Hero? I don't want to take anything away from the guy but surely he was just doing his job, how long does a train crash take? Did he have time to think sod this I'm outta' here?

It was the union who branded him a hero if I remember correctly, so if you are working away doing what you are supposed to be doing take heart knowing that you are a true hero!
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi

Eh... Hero? I don't want to take anything away from the guy but surely he was just doing his job, how long does a train crash take? Did he have time to think sod this I'm outta' here?

It was the union who branded him a hero if I remember correctly, so if you are working away doing what you are supposed to be doing take heart knowing that you are a true hero!
    Likewise, I don't want to take anything away from the guy, but his "hero status" is being over-stated here. Sir Richard Branson said he was a hero because of the way he "steered" the train after the derailing - well, trains don't have steering wheels and the drivers have no control over its direction, so it is impossible for him to steer it. The best he could do was apply the emergency brake and possibly a secondary braking device that may have been fitted (usually something like a system of dropping sand on the line to help increase friction between the wheels and rails), but the brake should apply automatically be taking his hand of the dead man's handle which is obviously basic human reaction to an emergency of this nature.

With the best will in the world, the best he could have done was to apply the emergency brakes as soon as he saw/realised there was a problem with the points. But, there is every chance he won't have seen the problem in advance as it was dark and the train was on a relatively sharp bend.

As for staying in his cab rather than running back along the train, he wouldn't have had time - it was all over in a matter of seconds. Not to mention the fact that in the Pendolino's, the cabs are one of the safest places to be and designed that way - in actual fact, the area behind the cab is, so I am told, a crumple zone designed to absorb any impact, so he stayed in the safest place to be.

So, let's not elevate him to hero status. But let's not detract from him and all the other high speed train drivers who do quite a demanding job, requiring a lot of training and technical knowledge, responsible for hundreds of lives every time they go to work. These modern trains are far more than press a button and go - they are computerised to state of the art level with satellite control.

Comment

Heroism is often illogical. What about that US marine last year who flung himself on to a grenade last year to save his fellows? It would have been more logical is to pick the fattest person in the dugout and flung him.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

That would have been murder....or would it?

Comment

I asked the very same question. Hero would have been if he had done something heroic. He didn't he stayed where he was and applied the brake. I guess that is pretty much what anybody else would have done.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

What is the difference between bravery and stupidity?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
              A medal?

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_neil_uk
                If the gamble pays off you're a hero, if it doesn't you're stupid

Comment

Ner bloody Heros, Ner, I'd hang the lot of 'em

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...99_gits203.jpg
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi

To give him credit, the driver himself has said quite categorically that he is not a hero, so the "hero" stuff is as you say RMT hype.
                    Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X