• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mentioning rate in interview

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mentioning rate in interview

I know this is a no no and I know everyone is against (I am too)

BUT

One interview I went for, they asked me my rate, I said I would discuss that with the agent blah blah but they persisted and basically said, 'well its us paying you'. So I told them, I didnt get the job as they said they was looking for someone with a 'little more experience' in a certain area that they really needed. To be fair I did feel a bit out of my league anyway and felt a bit stitched up by the agent, so I probably dropped him in it with the client by disclosing my rate.

I always discuss my rates with client to get an idea if the pimp is not stitching me up .

Comment

I was asked a couple of years ago at an interview, and the interviewer told me that the agent was stitching me up. Not by a lot, but enough to p1ss off the interviewer. I still got the job though (TonyE, you know where).

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
        I know this is a no no and I know everyone is against (I am too)

BUT...
        No spanking necessary. Something of a grey area, depends on the motives of those involved and that's what you have to figure out, just like when an agent asks the same question.

Comment

Had an interesting experience during the latest (admittedly a permie interview)... the agent was left completely out of the loop, and I discussed salaries, bonus payments etc directly with the HR person...

And, I only supplied references to the company, none at all to the agent...

Most unusual...
          Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I know some of the big banks, in particular, dictate the agencies' markups, so they're just checking that the agency is sticking to the contract
            Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Originally posted by mcquiggd
              Had an interesting experience during the latest (admittedly a permie interview)... the agent was left completely out of the loop, and I discussed salaries, bonus payments etc directly with the HR person...

And, I only supplied references to the company, none at all to the agent...

Most unusual...

Not that unusual for a permie role. In these cases the agency normally takes a fee based on a percentage of your salary, for the first X months. They only need to work with the client to confirm what you've been brought in on.
              It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

All down to personal choice isn't it? I personally never discuss rate with the end client. I've been asked a couple of times but always pointed them in the direction of the pimp. Never been an issue.

However, if a client said to me 'it's us who are paying you' then that would ring the alarm bells as they obviously don't understand the relationship...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

In Germany, quite often someone from the agency will accompany you to the interview and sit in as well. I did one some years back and they started talking about money after I had done the techie bit and so I knew exactly the markup! She was well fit though but I didn't get the gig luckily....
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Have had that here as well on a few interviews, via a Belgian recruitment company, someone from the agency came along, chauffeured me to the client etc.

Sometimes felt more like an office meeting than an interview.

Comment

Working...
                    X