• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Telephone Interviews...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telephone Interviews...

How do you handle these? I work in Central London and believe me there is NO quiet spots, so I normally do them in my lunch hour, find the quietest spot I can wait for the call.

Anyway had one today, and it was going ok until the client put me on conference call with his tech lead.

Every other sentence the thing kept cutting out, and I kept having to ask him to repeat the questions, which is highly frustrating! Anyway it got too much and the client said well had to ring you back when your on a landline!

It's nothing to do with me being on a mobile it's the tulipty conference system these companies use, this has happened to me twice now!

Originally posted by dotnetter
    How do you handle these? I work in Central London and believe me there is NO quiet spots, so I normally do them in my lunch hour, find the quietest spot I can wait for the call.

Anyway had one today, and it was going ok until the client put me on conference call with his tech lead.

Every other sentence the thing kept cutting out, and I kept having to ask him to repeat the questions, which is highly frustrating! Anyway it got too much and the client said well had to ring you back when your on a landline!

It's nothing to do with me being on a mobile it's the tulipty conference system these companies use, this has happened to me twice now!
    You're
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss
      You're
      Maybe I can't spell you're but I can spell pedantic

Comment

On the moon landing they used half-duplex transmitters with that beeped at handover.

I have been in similar situations at interviews and I have said to them, as there is a delay because of the conference call equipment; when you finish talking it is best if we take orderly turns in speaking.

Works fine for me.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Thing is it wasnt a delay, the interviewer would say a whole sentence that I would just plain not hear, then all of a sudden cut back in and I'm there saying 'sorry didn't catch any of that'

What winds me up is the client making out it's my fault!

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
            Thing is it wasnt a delay, the interviewer would say a whole sentence that I would just plain not hear, then all of a sudden cut back in and I'm there saying 'sorry didn't catch any of that'

What winds me up is the client making out it's my fault!
            Does that tell you anything about whether you want to work for them?
            God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Tell them you don't feel comfortable with a telephone interview and ask if you can use Msn Messenger instead.
              Last edited by Jawz; 27 February 2007, 14:39.

Comment

Yeah sure, not going there now sod em

Comment

Originally posted by Jawz
                  Tell them you don't feel comfortable with a telephone interview and ask if you can use Msn Messenger instead.
                  I tried that but they had intermittent network problems

Comment

These are a nightmare, no way to get feedback/body-language, I work best on picking up the signals and changing emphasis accordingly, checking understanding etc.
                    I've had 2
                    First - decided against it after considering the location/terms but did it anyway without showing any knowledge or enthusiasm for anything mentioned - you are just what we are looking for says the client !!!
                    Second - Out of my depth for a security job, tried to work it but got a knockback.
                    Had a call about a job at one of our consultancy friends and they said they would start with an hours telephone interview. I was going to arrange a meeting room and proper conference phone but I was not up for this. Got offered another 3 months so put them off.

Comment

Working...
                    X