• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

day 2 - life on the bench

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

day 2 - life on the bench

haven't even applied for anything today... i think i need C#

next stop amazon!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Originally posted by kramer

next stop amazon!
    No, wrong way around. Get a contract first and then lean what you are supposed to be doing.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
      No, wrong way around. Get a contract first and then lean what you are supposed to be doing.
      Thats the way to do it... or get a contract in a similar technology, then steer the project towards the technologies you want to learn
      I've spent the past 6 months learning
      SSIS
      SQL Server Reporting Services
      ASP .NET

None of which were in the spec until I said they were
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

You could always bite the bullet and pay for an MCAD (or current equivalent)

Training Camp do a 7 day "boot camp" that will get the job done. It is a fairly large investment (£3K+VAT) and it's seriaously hard work (16 hours of studying a day & your write the exams on day 3,5 & 7).

I did one of these last year and it pays for itself in a couple of weeks.
        Last edited by Ennui; 27 February 2007, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by kramer

next stop amazon!
          If you've got VB.net - then youve got C Sharp. The most important concepts are about how the whole .NET thing sticks together which you'll already know.

VB to C Sharp is mostly about syntax differences which you can learn in a few days

Comment

Originally posted by nucastle
            VB to C Sharp is mostly about syntax differences
            Big rate difference - VB is for hacks/cowboys and C# is for pros.

Comment

... yeh and its a C sharp coders best kept secret that their 'pro' language is by and large exactly the same as VB.net

Comment

nice one nucastle... i need to learn vb.net now
                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

I assumed you were a non-.NET coder hence the bootcamp suggestion.

I got my first C# gig with 10 days of C# experience (including the 7-day bootcamp). I have 15 years of "other" programming experience so it was just a case of learning the framework and syntax.

The bootcamp and winging approach isn't for everyone though. It does, however, get you up to speed quickly if you're keen to drop yourself in it.

Comment

C sharp has about 3x the number of job ads on jobserve than vb.net. Does that tell you something...

Comment

Working...
                    X