• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hands Free = Not Points Free

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hands Free = Not Points Free

Points on your licence

It is illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone when driving and the penalties are going up. From 27 February 2007 you will receive a £60 fine and three penalty points on your licence. Points can mean higher insurance costs.

You don’t have to be caught many times to be disqualified. If you get just six points in the first two years after passing your test, you will lose your licence under the New Drivers Act.

You can also be prosecuted for using a hands-free mobile phone if you are not in proper control of your vehicle. Then penalties will be the same as for using a hand-held phone. And the penalties for driving carelessly or dangerously when using a phone can include disqualification, a large fine and up to two years imprisonment.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy
    You can also be prosecuted for using a hands-free mobile phone if you are not in proper control of your vehicle. Then penalties will be the same as for using a hand-held phone. And the penalties for driving carelessly or dangerously when using a phone can include disqualification, a large fine and up to two years imprisonment.
    I would have thought anybody driving whilst NOT in proper control of their vechicle or driving carelessly or dangerously runs the risk of points, fines or imprisonment whether they have a hands free set or not.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I don't like people using hand held phones while driving but I don't see any point in creating new laws for the hell of it. The law already stated that if you are not in proper control of your vehicle then you can be prosecuted.

Do we need a law banning people from touching their i-pod while driving or reaching into their pocket to take out a pack of ciggies?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
        Points on your licence

It is illegal to use a hand-held mobile phone when driving and the penalties are going up. From 27 February 2007 you will receive a £60 fine and three penalty points on your licence. Points can mean higher insurance costs.

You don’t have to be caught many times to be disqualified. If you get just six points in the first two years after passing your test, you will lose your licence under the New Drivers Act.

Saw this on the news last night, they did some testing on one guy and his performance was 40% worse when on a mobile, and 10% worse on hands free - not sure that 10% is all that bad but does make you think.

They also said that while it seems the same as talking to someone next to you they stated that actually your performance didn't suffer as much cause that person with you 'shared' the driving experience. Whatever that means.
        Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
          I don't like people using hand held phones while driving but I don't see any point in creating new laws for the hell of it. The law already stated that if you are not in proper control of your vehicle then you can be prosecuted.

Do we need a law banning people from touching their i-pod while driving or reaching into their pocket to take out a pack of ciggies?
          It is a money making scheme again. It is possible for them to prove you were using a phone so Gay Gordon can dip you for it.

As you say, there is already scope for prosecution for not being in control, but it is much harder to prove.

The bit about holding a conversation with a passenger is OK, but the number of prats you see who are constantly looking at said passenger is a different matter and how many times have you seen a driver trying to cope with a screaming kid in the car.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

to be honest it beggars belief that manual gearbox cars are legal, the hand and feet coordination required to run these is another example of distraction from the task in hand watching the road and other drivers

all cars should be automatic - simple as

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
              to be honest it beggars belief that manual gearbox cars are legal, the hand and feet coordination required to run these is another example of distraction from the task in hand watching the road and other drivers

Milan.
              The devil finds use for idle hands in a automatic.
              Last edited by Paddy; 27 February 2007, 22:40.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes

Milan.
                I take it you have failed to come to terms with this mechanism? Stay away from motorbikes and helicopters too. Much more co-ordination required you clumsy git.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964

Oh, get with the project PRC1964!

This government does nothing BUT create new laws! Thereby making crims of people who where previously completely without a blemish on their character.

It seems that wanking whilst driving will still be perfectly legal. Which should be a comfort to most labour politicians and their supporters.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman

It seems that wanking whilst driving will still be perfectly legal. Which should be a comfort to most labour politicians and their supporters.

Methinks I feel (geddit) a test case coming (fnah-fnah) on.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X