• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving into banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving into banking

Maybe someone here has managed to do it, but how do you move into banking, when all the banking jobs require experience?

Cheers.
    perl -e1

Originally posted by cottonfoo
    Maybe someone here has managed to do it, but how do you move into banking, when all the banking jobs require experience?

Cheers.
    Lie.
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Yeah I thought something like that might be on the cards. That's me out then, I'm tulip at that and haven't even lied on my CV!
      perl -e1

Comment

Originally posted by cottonfoo
        Yeah I thought something like that might be on the cards. That's me out then, I'm tulip at that and haven't even lied on my CV!
        Amateur
        The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

What aspect of banking and what role?

Comment

Apply and hope for best. It's not exclusive, just preferred - if you're good enough they'll take you no matter what. guess the hard bit is getting past the agents - or work for a smaller financial might also do the trick.
            Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I see a fair amount of perl/sybase roles going at not bad rates, I'm confident I can do the work to spec as usual, but can't get my foot in the door. I'm looking for something along the lines of developer (in perl) or unix SA, or a mixture of the two, that isn't full of banking buzzwords. I'm currently working at a startup dealing in foreign exchange so I won't be totally green.
              perl -e1

Comment

I got in by working direct for the finance part of a law firm on a small 3 month project. Nice Magic Circle firm - looks good on your resume.
                Anyway - banks don't like parting with their cash and don't pay that well... think before you leap.

Comment

I don't know what the situation is in the UK, but where I am (Sydney) a lot of small software houses take on work for banks and financial institutions, and it's a lot easier to get an interview with a s/w house (who hires contractors depending on projects they're given) if you have the general technical know-how. That should give you a good intro to banks in the square mile, especially if your job involves some quality facial time with the software shop's client, shouldn't it?

Comment

I think agents like to send people with financial experience, but over the last year or so, financial experience has become less important with certain roles. Obviously if it's a front office role and you're needed to hit the ground running, the business knowledge (and normally commercial proof of this!) is essential.

Personally, I think in the past clients of mine have missed out on some very strong developers because of not wanting to see anyone that had didn;t have experience.

Comment

Working...
                    X