• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

managed limited company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

managed limited company

is this different from your normal Ltd Company or just a fancy name??

It's different.

Normally, the contractor owns the Ltd company (via the shares), and is also the director. So he manages the company (possibly with the help of an accountant). With a managed Ltd company someone else manages the company. You still own the shares (at least some of them) so you get dividends just as you would with your own Ltd.

These things are sold as having the advantage of dividends, but without the hassle of running a company. Of course you pay for this service. The reality is that running your own company is not that complicated with the help of a good accountant.

Comment

Planetit has very well summarised it - that's what I do. It is technically my company but I pay someone to run it.

Comment

so if your outside IR35 then its a good idea....but if your caught, you might as well go umbrella??

is that right?

Comment

I suppose if you are outside IR35 it’s an option. However, two obvious points: -

You would have to trust the management company to allow then to control all your money. Or have some pretty good protection in place if things go wrong.

On the basis that you don’t get something for nothing, it’s going to cost you more than running the company yourself.

P.S. These are just my thoughts, since I've never used one of these companies.

Comment

maybe someone could make a post of prices charged by companies in rekation to Ltd company, managed, umbrella etc....

one definitive list!!

any takers?

Comment

my managed ltd co provider charges £35 a week for the service

Comment

Jesus H Christ - that's daylight robbery !!!

Aren't you allowed to setup a UK Ltd. or something Becs?

Comment

maybe someone could make a post of prices charged by companies in rekation to Ltd company, managed, umbrella etc....

one definitive list!!

And what exactly would one gain from this? Price is not everything, you need to look at the over all service provided.

Why do you think there are price differences in the first place?

Comment

I would be allowed, Fiddle, there's no question - but these people are quite good, especially at minimising my, err, tax liabilities, as was discussed on numerous threads in the past few weeks/months

Comment

Working...
                    X