• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yesterday in Parliament

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday in Parliament

I will have to listen to this more often as I am missing something.

1. The first reading of a Bill to lower the speed limit in built-up areas to 20 MPH default.

2. Questions about the life of the biometric chips in new passports. Answer. The chips will be guaranteed up to two years after which if there is a fault, the holder will have to pay for passport renewal. The chips will last up to five years.

So a ten year passport will have a maximum life of five years. Hum...
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

What happens when the chip fails in the passport? How are people going to be treated? Imagine it, there you are, coming through passport control and your passport fails. Mr Dumbo Immigration officer will have you arrested and abused on the basis that you are probably a terrorist because you have a dodgy passport.

Here is my forecast of the government’s response. “Well Mr Buffoon. If you registered your finger prints, Iris scan and DNA on our database before hand, then if it happens we could have you out of Belmarsh in no more than, say, 30 to 60 days”.
    Drivel is my speciality

Comment

I don't think anywhere in Europe will give a toss except on your return to the UK of course, I wouldn't risk an 8 hour flight to the US only to be turned back though... oh well, walt disney's loss.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Will it be possible to use the sale of goods act and other consumer rights against the Government on this one?

Selling a 10 year passport with only a 2 year warranty and a maximum shelf life of 5 years must be illegal. No way can it be regarded as fit for purpose.
        Tony does like us to be customers.

Does this amount to fraud in some way?

Any legals got a comment?
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          ...I wouldn't risk an 8 hour flight to the US only to be turned back though... oh well, walt disney's loss.
          I'll be doing exactly that over Easter. I've also heard that if the passport is dropped, the chip might stop working. So out of 4 of us with electronic passports, it's likely that one of them will fail. Guantanemo Bay, here I come!

Comment

Working...
          X