• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Talking about plan b's anyone done the knowledge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking about plan b's anyone done the knowledge?

Thinking about doing it as a backup, anyone had a go?

My dad did it many years ago and I've a couple of uncles who were cabbies. In the old days if you had a green badge and put the hours in, you could see 40Kish but not sure what it's like now. Passing the exams are hard but not impossible - the problem is the time it takes to learn all the streets. 18 Months minimum ISTR.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

40k is that all?

hmmm it is alot of work and I was thinking you could take at least £300 a day.

I know London pretty well, but obviously nowhere near that standard, so would have to put alot of hours in to get to know all the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter
        Thinking about doing it as a backup, anyone had a go?
        I have in the distant past known cabbies who became programmers.

O tempora, o mores!
        God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

40k is that all?

I know London pretty well, but obviously nowhere near that standard, so would have to put alot of hours in to get to know all the streets.
          Or just start a dodgy mini cab firm like everybody else.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Euro-commuter
            I have in the distant past known cabbies who became programmers.

O tempora, o mores!
            Yeah but this would just be a backburner thing in case I fancy a few weeks break from contracting or have a period without a contract.

Would also mean I could drive to work and not pay the congestion charge lol

AND when the missus wants another holiday I can just pop out on a saturday night a do a quick earner

Comment

feck's sake we've got some right entrepeneurs amongst us here

cream of the crop, gonna learn the knowledge !

where will you find the time to learn it and wouldn't
              you be better learning .Net or something ?

kids today eh !

Milan.

Comment

40k is that all?

There's nothing that you can do that's as easy as contracting for the same money. Sad but true. Well not so sad actually.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse
                  There's nothing that you can do that's as easy as contracting for the same money. Sad but true. Well not so sad actually.
                  Footballer?
                  Rock star?
                  Drug dealer?
                  Hitman?

All much more fun than IT aswell.
                  Call the cops

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes
                    feck's sake we've got some right entrepeneurs amongst us here

cream of the crop, gonna learn the knowledge !

where will you find the time to learn it and wouldn't
                    you be better learning .Net or something ?

kids today eh !

Milan.
                    I already know .net u muppet, any other suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                    X