• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance quotes > value of car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance quotes > value of car

Trying to get a quote for insurance of cheap / low group car to include a new driver aged 17 with a provisional licence, but all quotes are silly.

Any ideas?
    Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Originally posted by ZZZZ Snoozer
    Trying to get a quote for insurance of cheap / low group car to include a new driver aged 17 with a provisional licence, but all quotes are silly.

Any ideas?
    Don't bother. IIRC, it's only a £1000 pound fine if your done for driving without insurance - probably cheaper than your quote
    The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Any ideas?
      put them on a second driver. If they are just the provisional license holder then they shouldn't be the main driver
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
        put them on a second driver. If they are just the provisional license holder then they shouldn't be the main driver
        Thanks, I have been doing that (as 3rd driver in fact) but the extra premium is about £500 or more per annum as a result. It wasn't anything like as bad when his sister started learning a couple of years ago.
        Why the avatar? Well anyone accused of plotting against Gordon Brown can't be all bad.

Comment

Thanks, I have been doing that (as 3rd driver in fact) but the extra premium is about £500 or more per annum as a result. It wasn't anything like as bad when his sister started learning a couple of years ago.

Beware, they must not be the primary driver, ie do the most mileage or have the most use. The Insurance Company will be happy to take your money but if you have a claim, particularly a large claim they will investigate and scrutinise everything.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

tell me about it, my wife is about to pass her test, looking at £1500 - £2000 per year for a low(ish) insurance group car.
            I pay far less than that for a group 15 car
            Still, when i passed my test i think i was being quoted about £700 per year on a 15 year old volvo 340
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Any ideas?
              The reason for the quote being higher than your car is because of the cost of damage they'll do to someone elses car.

HTH
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Not a great believer in advertising, but there's some tv ads at the moment about multicar policies... Direct Line?
                with them already and have been since i passed my test
                and yeah we will have to go that route i think, still if i use her car more than my own then we save on petrol as well as insurance and direct line give NCB on named drivers as well. Only need to use my car then on days when she needs to drive somewhere.

Also though - direct line are quite strict about which cars they will insure new drivers on, she's very picky about what car she wants so we may have to fork out for a different insurance company
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Churchill are amongst the best for 17 year olds. They insured my daughter's BMW 325i for £1450 and she was 18 and had only just passed her test.
                  ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
                    with them already and have been since i passed my test
                    and yeah we will have to go that route i think, still if i use her car more than my own then we save on petrol as well as insurance and direct line give NCB on named drivers as well. Only need to use my car then on days when she needs to drive somewhere.

Also though - direct line are quite strict about which cars they will insure new drivers on, she's very picky about what car she wants so we may have to fork out for a different insurance company
                    Tell her to be more grateful or take the bus FFS!

Comment

Working...
                    X