• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swede - north south divide?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swede - north south divide?

It just occurred to me that we may have another north/south thing here.
    You lot took to the Swede thread without batting an eye...but where I come from no one ever calls them swedes - they call both turnips and swedes, turnips!

In fact, no one ever really seems to know what a swede is!

Anything round, yellowy/orange that you mash is called turnip.

Is this yet another lazy, uneducated northern thing?

Are you southerners talking about swedes on a daily basis? Are turnips a poor mans swede?
    The pope is a tard.

Originally posted by SallyAnne
    You lot took to the Swede thread without batting an eye...but where I come from no one ever calls them swedes - they call both turnips and swedes, turnips!

Are you southerners talking about swedes on a daily basis? Are turnips a poor mans swede?
    Turnip, in Scotland. A Swede is a Scandinavian person.

And you wouldn't mash 2 kinds together. Mashed turnip and potato, that's another matter. Called "clapshot", and best made by mashing separately and then combining. Though personally I prefer them separate on the plate and I can fine-tune the combination myself.
    God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Not all turnips are swedes.

A swede is a type of yellow turnip.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I thought they were 'neeps' in Scotland?

As in 'haggis and neeps' (yum).

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne

A "Swede" is a "Swedish turnip" or "Rutabaga" to the Americans. They are related to turnips (both are members of the Brassica family ).

General rule of thumb, Swedes are medium to large, coarse skinned and yellow (slighly woody) inside, while turnips are small to meduim, smooth (oftern bight purple) skinned, and white and smooth inside.

Oh, and they taste different (but both are excellent when mashed with carrotts, butter and black pepper).
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

And if memory serves me correctly, swedes are not even correctly turnips. IIRC they were originally some wierd victorian genetic engineering exercise carried out in Germany.
            Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
            threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Burdock
              I thought they were 'neeps' in Scotland?

As in 'haggis and neeps' (yum).
              Aye. Colloquial abbreviation for "turnip".
              God made men. Sam Colt made them equal.

Comment

Just thought I'd mention; you guys do realise that we're having a (second) discussion about swedes?

Yes? OK then. Just as long as this isn't part of some wierd dream that'll see Gordon Brown wearing a tu-tu, ride through my office on a capybara, in a moment.
                The vegetarian option.

Comment

Swedes are cheaper. Sainsbury's sell turnips at £1.39 a kilo whereas swedes are 99p a kilo whole or (oddly) only 79p a kilo in conveniently wrapped half portions.

"There is often confusion about the differences between the turnip and the Swede. The Swede 'Brassica napobrassiac ' is from Sweden (unsurprisingly) and was introduced to the UK as the Swedish turnip and the name later became shortened to Swede.

To add to the confusion the Swede 'is often known as a turnip or neep in Scotland and the turnip goes by the same name. Indeed the word turnip comes from the Scottish word 'neep'. The Americans however call the Swede a rutabaga, which comes from the Swedish word - rotabagge. However in some parts of the States the Rutabaga is called the yellow turnip and the turnip is known as the white turnip."

Got it?
                  It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

swede
                    turnip

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X