• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contaminated petrol

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contaminated petrol

Anyone been affected?

Any ideas what has caused these problems? - amazing that the supplier seems to have no idea yet.

Not with the current batch, although I'm sure I had this problem a few months ago. I filled up my gas guzzling 4x4 from a supermarket petrol station and it ran like a three-legged pig for the following two weeks.
    It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

There's a good reason the petrol is always so cheap at supermarkets... Never heard the permies whining about the cost of lambda sensors before? This has been bubbling under the surface on and off for years, and has now got into the papers, must be a slow news day.

I've found a bottle of carb cleaner with the next tank tends to sort things out. There again, in those cars that have ECUs I have my own switchable maps and a reset button.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
        There's a good reason the petrol is always so cheap at supermarkets... Never heard the permies whining about the cost of lambda sensors before? This has been bubbling under the surface on and off for years, and has now got into the papers, must be a slow news day.

I've found a bottle of carb cleaner with the next tank tends to sort things out. There again, in those cars that have ECUs I have my own switchable maps and a reset button.
        Whats a 'carb'?

I've found that shell V power 98 octane works well, it seems to give more mpg which offsets the extra cost... it may be all in my head though as I tend to pay more attention when I use it.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
          Whats a 'carb'?
          Short for carbohydrate. It's where your car gets its energy from.

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Strangely enough I overheard a conversation last week where a woman had taken her car to the garage with an engine fault and they told her she had used contaminated fuel. This was before the media storm. She had bought the fuel from Tesco.
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Mine was Tesco's too. It's likely that suppliers with a batch of dodgy fuel will send it to Tesco's because (a) Tesco pay less than anyone else and (b) they have such a high turnover that the dodgy stuff will soon be off their hands.

Comment

Most of the fuel comes from the same refineries: (formally BP) Coryton in Essex, Exxon Fawley in Hampshire, Grangemouth refinery in Scotland. I think supermarkets Tesco and Morrisons get theirs from Greenergy in Purfleet - they buy on the spot market so it can be cheaper.

The real difference is in the quality of the additive packs: BP's Ultimate, Shells VPower etc

Greenergy add "biofuel" (ethanol) to their fuel to give the 100 octane boost but their "cleaning" additives will not be on par with Shell and BP.

I doubt it's the ethanol that's causing the problems, it's more likely a contaminant in the tankers.
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

"Ray Holloway, director of the Petrol Retailers' Association, said drivers should consider getting fresh fuel even if their vehicle is not suffering any problems."

Every cloud has a silver lining !!!

Comment

No problems here guv...

I am using biodiesel (chip fat), works great and at 79p a litre saves a few pennies too!
                    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

Working...
                    X