• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Been Dumped With No Notice!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been Dumped With No Notice!

I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to but it's the first time for me today. I went for an informal interview on Tues 27.2.07 for a one month contract with a voluntary sector agency. I agreed with the person there that I would start the following Monday (giving me time to do the dots and crosses o the contract). I also agree I would go in this morning, 1.3.07, to go through the IT documentation so I could be ready up and running for the Monday. This person agreed. I emailed my agency on 27.02.07 to say this was the agreement. All weel and fine. The contract came next day, I've signed it and returned it same day.

The agency orignally drew up a contract to commence 27.2.07 with an immediate termination clause for the first 4 days, Tues to Fri, and then 28 days thereafter for the duration of the contract, but I delayed the start because I needed to make sure the contract terms were correct, acceptable and immune to IR35.

I turned up this morning to find another contractor from another agency doing my job! Apparently, the person who interviewed me decided I was overqulaified/experienced but did not tell my agency. They've found someone else from another agency! This person who interviewed me is working from home and cannot be contacted. So, this morning, I was politely told to leave the premises and now I have no notice and no work.

Who do I go after for potential loss of earnings?

Originally posted by Kyajae
    I'm sure I'm not the only one this has happened to but it's the first time for me today. I went for an informal interview on Tues 27.2.07 for a one month contract with a voluntary sector agency. I agreed with the person there that I would start the following Monday (giving me time to do the dots and crosses o the contract). I also agree I would go in this morning, 1.3.07, to go through the IT documentation so I could be ready up and running for the Monday. This person agreed. I emailed my agency on 27.02.07 to say this was the agreement. All weel and fine. The contract came next day, I've signed it and returned it same day.

The agency orignally drew up a contract to commence 27.2.07 with an immediate termination clause for the first 4 days, Tues to Fri, and then 28 days thereafter for the duration of the contract, but I delayed the start because I needed to make sure the contract terms were correct, acceptable and immune to IR35.

I turned up this morning to find another contractor from another agency doing my job! Apparently, the person who interviewed me decided I was overqulaified/experienced but did not tell my agency. They've found someone else from another agency! This person who interviewed me is working from home and cannot be contacted. So, this morning, I was politely told to leave the premises and now I have no notice and no work.

Who do I go after for potential loss of earnings?

If the agent can get you another contract immediately that’s no problem, forget the rest.

If not, write a letter outlining the breach of contract and claim your month’s money.
    Presuming they do not pay up, take out a summons in the Small Claims Court. I would suggest you have your client and your agent as co-correspondents. I.e. you sue them the both. It works wonders. If you want it, you will get your money.

If you are with an umbrella company, sue them.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Poor show by the agent methinks. Thats who you have a go at.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Send the Agent (EB if Denny is reading this) a letter bomb. That should tell them not to **** with you...
        Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Name and shame, if its all true you have nothing to lose.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
            The agency orignally drew up a contract to commence 27.2.07 with an immediate termination clause for the first 4 days,
            So you signed a contract with an immediate termination clause, and the client has effectivley just enforced said clause? Wheres your beef? Pull your socks up and get on with running your business. And maybe next time dont sign a contract containing clauses you dont like......

Comment

Working...
            X