• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tiscali

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiscali

Does any one have any experience of Tisacali on the business side. I know that they are not up to scratch on the personal side.

Going to get them to host a web site and all relevant servers.

Any comments would be of use before i sign on the dotted line as it were.

Use a proper hosting company maybe? I've never used them for business either but I'm sure that a dedicated hosting outfit will be better than them.

Comment

I currently use them as my ISP and the service I have had has been good.

They suffer like a lot of ISP's from having their Bombay crew run the call centre so customer support can be hit and miss but things have been resolved satisfactorily and, thankfully, not had to call them much.

I am planning to have them host my web site as part of the package but as yet this is not up and running. Let me know what you decide to do.

Comment

I developed a website for a company who had business broadband with Tiscali.

Would recommend against it as the domain management (ie name servers, DNS and mail settings) is virtually non-existent so looked at transferring the domain from them, but dealing with their indian call centre and customer service in general was awful and it took weeks to be able to do this.

Was a really bad experience and the company have now, after several more issues with Tiscali, cancelled the whole service with them.

If you are looking at setting up a domain and website, the best bet is to go through a good domain provider that give you options for configuring your domain and ease of management. Someone like 123reg.

Otherwise you might find that it actually becomes difficult to do anything useful with the domain.

As always there are good and bad stories for everything, but this was a nightmare and if you're looking for a flexible manageable solution going forward this would not be the way.

Comment

123reg. I wouldn't if I were you.

Supapanames is good. Configurable, good support and do php so not stuck with that horrid perl stuff.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 11 March 2007, 09:10.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
          X