• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie wants advice before switching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie wants advice before switching

This question has probably been asked a million times, but...

To summarise:
    I have 20 years experience as a developer
    I work in C#, ASP.Net and SQL2000/5
    I have a degree
    I have the MCSD and MCDBA
    I work hard
    I love developing

I desperately want to get into Contracting coz I just don't enjoy towing the company line anymore. I really have no intention of kissing ass until I get into Management.

Also, according to the likes of ITJobsWatch I could double my earnings - which sounds nice

So, do I even need to ask the question? Really? If I quit my job, will (should) I land a Contract?

You see, sites like this one, ITJobsWatch and CW make Contracting sound like a dream for someone like me. It sounds too good to be true. Surely I can't get paid that much for doing something I love?

Many Regards

M.

p.s. and do I need to quit my job before I go for a contract?

Whats your notice period? any more than 1 month then yep you'll need to quit your job.

Contracting suits many people but not all, you have to be thick skinned from interview knock backs, permies being complete barstewards towards you. You'll also need a few quid in the bank for when you are resting!
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

I can't believe this is a genuine question, surely it's someone having a 'joke'

Comment

Originally posted by MartinF

To summarise:
        I have a degree
        I work hard
        I love developing

I desperately want to get into Contracting coz I just don't enjoy towing the company line anymore. I really have no intention of kissing ass until I get into Management.

Also, according to the likes of ITJobsWatch I could double my earnings - which sounds nice

So, do I even need to ask the question? Really? If I quit my job, will (should) I land a Contract?

You see, sites like this one, ITJobsWatch and CW make Contracting sound like a dream for someone like me. It sounds too good to be true. Surely I can't get paid that much for doing something I love?

Many Regards

M.

Toeing

Comment

To summarise:
          I have a degree
          I work hard
          I love developing

Many Regards

M.

Contracting is the way for you, since if you've been doing coding for 20 years and aren't already in management then its odds-on you'll start to get looked over in preference for the new blood. Obviously HR will say its based on ability but they have to now that age-discrimination has come in.

Comment

I really have no intention of kissing ass until I get into Management.
            Then you can forget about it. To me it sounds like saying "I am not going to start a diet until I start losing weight".
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
              I can't believe this is a genuine question, surely it's someone having a 'joke'
              Joke? Er. No. Why?

My vision of the future...
              Three 3-month contracts per year at a daily rate of £400 (i.e. £75,000pa) with 3-months off taking my kids to Disney etc.

I'm a hardened developer, who (over the last few years) has concentrated on getting the right skills and certs. for the current market.

BUT I'M AFRAID!!!

And while getting my £2,500 cheque each month is great I think I'm worth more.

So is my vision just a load-of-crap, or is it achievable?

p.s. my notice is 4 weeks
              p.p.s. toeing?

Comment

To summarise:
                I have a degree
                I work hard
                I love developing

Many Regards

M.

arse
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

p.p.s. toeing?
                  its "toeing the line" not "towing the line" as you wrote

Sorry - just some hardcore pedants on this board.

good luck with the switch to contracting, try and get your notice down as much as possible.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

p.p.s. toeing?
                    as in "put your toe to the line" - the line being that red stripe that runs down each side of the house of commons.

Comment

Working...
                    X