• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Newbie (with Giant)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Newbie (with Giant)

Hi,
    Sorry to post but just about to start my first contact role (only 6 weeks initially) and have signed up with Giant. I have a read a few bad posts about them. What should I watch out for with them?
    Thanks in advance

Also....

What rates do you guys look for to earn a decent living. My role is worth just over £30 p/h. This any good?? What rate does it stop being worthwhile against finding a similar skilled perm job....
    Any thoughts welcomed.
    Ta

Comment

Re: Also....

I have been with them for a year, no problems yet

Comment

What are you using them for? Umbrella? Accountant?

I used them as accountant for my Ltd. They were utterly useless. Rarely did a stroke of work, and when they did, it was mostly wrong. If I queried it, they just didn’t bother responding. I’ve since heard that they send most of the work to India. Maybe that explains it.

Comment

Giant managed company

I am using them as a managed compaby, they advised against the umbrella as the managed company would earn more money for me. Of course I took what they said as it was my first introduction into this and I saw them as experts.

Comment

What should I watch out for with them?
            Everything. They are worse than useless.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the descriptive response. Would you care to enlighten me on what everything means. Even if you have too many to list can you pass on a couple?
              I'm sure youll understand your response was pap at best

Comment

Planetit,
                I use their Powerhouse thing (Managed Ltd). They are quite hard to get hold of, but usually if I try hard enough I do manage to talk to someone eventually.

I have to admit I am a bit puzzled sometimes as to how they calculate automatic tax, EE NI and ER NI deductions (it's never the same from one week/month to the next even when it should be), but overall they are not ripping me off, and they do pay same day CHAPS weekly so that's quite good.

But I have been with them for just one year now, so I may be in store for some (nasty or not) surprises yet? Will keep you posted...

Comment

Working...
                X