• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shutting down VMWare server? Help needed!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutting down VMWare server? Help needed!

Hi

A quick question if anyone can help me. I need to shut down and then power up a VMWare box in order to make some hardware changes.

I'll be shutting down the hosts by TS'ing into them and shutting down using Windows, but was wondering about shutting down the actual Host since it runs on Unix.

Is the command: shutdown?

Cheers

Originally posted by Mr Pancamo
    Hi

A quick question if anyone can help me. I need to shut down and then power up a VMWare box in order to make some hardware changes.

I'll be shutting down the hosts by TS'ing into them and shutting down using Windows, but was wondering about shutting down the actual Host since it runs on Unix.

Is the command: shutdown?

Cheers
    Press the large button marked On/Off

Unix is self aware so will understand what you are trying to do

HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

You can use shutdown -y to get the job done. If you want more shutdown options: man shutdown to get the details.

Comment

Thanks guys...

Just one more question out of curiosity...I can power off the guests via the MUI too. Is it recommended to TS into each guest and shut them down using Windows, or is the VM MUI the better option (or vice versa)?

Comment

It's always better to shutdown the guest OS rather than powering off via the mui. Depends how critical the guests are.

Comment

Thanks everyone, the memory swap went through fine.

Appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
            X