• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What to read?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to read?

So I am after some new book's to read and wondered if the very nice people of CUK had any recommendations?

What are you reading at the moment?

The History of Hong Kong and Perfume

Comment

Every book I read recently seems to be a "masterpiece" about the parallel lives of two people who have never met and have nothing in common from which one is supposed to draw some deep meaning (I think). I just get to the end and think, well those stories were ok, rather more detail and you could have made two reasonable books.

I intend to write a deep meaningful book about three hundred people who have nothing in common and have never met, saves me having to think of a decent story line for any one thread that fills more than a page.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Xog,
        That's been done, almost.
        253, by Geoff Ryman.
        I know he was 47 short of your exacting standards.

Just bought myself some of the "The 20 British Prime Ministers of the 20th Century" series.They look quite interesting.

Also The Koran, because people are always arguing over the radio about what is and isn't in it, but they are always suspiciously unwilling to quote from it.

Comment

for whom the bell tolls - a classic

Comment

The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam

Cracking book. If this was applied to todays conflicts the terrorists would win.

Comment

Just read anything by Redmond O'Hanlon. He's been off and done the stupid things you'd (well OK, I'd) like to have done without you (me) needing to encounter too many nasty insects. I'd particularly recomend "In Trouble Again".

If that's not your thing, then pretty much anything by Salman Rushdie is good. You get bonus points for reading The Satanic Verses on a tube train while muttering and wearing a rucksack.

Comment

Carter Beats the Devil - Glen David Gold

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Beyond the Great Outdoors - Inguar Ambjornson

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
                  The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam

Cracking book. If this was applied to todays conflicts the terrorists would win.
                  Sounds interesting, I've just read The Quiet American, have u read that.

Comment

Lady Coddington's Pressed Fairy Book
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X