• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

the user experience

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the user experience

On my travels through the more obscure corners of the world weird web I came across this site - http://dontclick.it/

Does this increase the user experience? Discuss...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Interesting but not very practical.

For instance rather than moving the mouse in a straight line from one hotspot to another I had to take a path that avoided hotspots I didn't want to hit.

Also, moving between form fields requires tab/shift+tab rather than clicking on the field you want to fill. Also, how do you select text for copy without click+drag?

A gimmick, albeit a well-executed one. Shows what you can do in Flash tho.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Yeah you're probably right.

I'm currently looking for technological inspiration but finding none.

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Mouse gestures have been around for a while. There were some browser extensions around a few years ago that used them for various bits and bobs.

They even showed up in games. Black&White used them alot I seem to recall. Didn't stop it being a crap game though.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

i've heard some very good things about black&white

anyway, clicked on the link, ran the flash and thought it was poo

Clicking gives a definite affirmative to an action, mouse gestures are too woolly for the real world
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet
            i've heard some very good things about black&white

So did I, then I played it.

Loads of really really cool ideas in a crap implementation.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

That site is rubbish!

It only works as the "buttons" are only displaying different crap. If it actually did something then it would have no use.

I.e. if you deleted a paragraph becuase you wanted the second option and had to go past the first to get there.

Annoying.

Comment

Interesting, but I think what would be good to use some of those techniques to reduce the reliance on the clicks, but keep the clicks where necessary. There's good reasons why you need to click, but there are lots of UI things that would work with just hotspots. For example, I just dragged the scrollbar in IE down a bit before typing this - why did I need to hold the mouse down to do that? (Actually using my crappy laptop so it's not a button and more of a pain).
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  Interesting, but I think what would be good to use some of those techniques to reduce the reliance on the clicks, but keep the clicks where necessary. There's good reasons why you need to click, but there are lots of UI things that would work with just hotspots. For example, I just dragged the scrollbar in IE down a bit before typing this - why did I need to hold the mouse down to do that? (Actually using my crappy laptop so it's not a button and more of a pain).
                  On my laptop scrollign is easier as the side of the track pad does it. Or if you have a wheel mouse. All easier than using a hot spot scroll bar imho.

Comment

Working...
                  X