• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Decisions.....................

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decisions.....................

Ok throwing this open to you lot for some advice.

Bearing in mind that my wife will be needing a kidney transplant in the next few weeks what would you do. Her mum is a match and so things should get into motion pretty soon.

Current client is aware of the situation with my wife, although they do not know the extent yet. They do allow a significant amount of home working. However I don't know if they will allow 100% home working for the 4 to 6 weeks she will need to get over the operation. My contract is up for renewal in 3 weeks and I'm probably going to be offered an extension - don't know about any increase in cash yet.

Today I had an agent call me about a role about 30mins from home, paying £25 per day less than I am on here - but a commutable distance from home. I'm a good fit for the role and would actually like to do it. However they are obviously unaware of anything about the situation with my wife.

What would you lot do....

1 - stay put and try to get as much home working - ask for more cash
    2 - go for the other job and try to work around things - can pay for childcare if it comes to it as I will be home each night.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    Ok throwing this open to you lot for some advice.

Current client is aware of the situation with my wife, although they do not know the extent yet. They do allow a significant amount of home working. However I don't know if they will allow 100% home working for the 4 to 6 weeks she will need to get over the operation.
    1 - stay put and try to get as much home working - ask for more cash
    2 - go for the other job and try to work around things - can pay for childcare if it comes to it as I will be home each night.
    Personally I would firstly come clean with current client, if your relationship is good. It can’t do any harm. Explain the situation in full and see what they have to say.

Apply to the other role and see how it goes, then at least you have options to move one way or the other.

Last thing you need is to drop one and go for the other, only to find out some one else has gotten the role.

Quote: something about birds, hands, and bushes.
    "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

Be honest with first client, explain the situation to them and see what they say, if they don't want to play ball then go after the other one

If you feel you need to butter up first client might be good idea to be willing to do without the rate rise this time around in exchange for them letting you doing 100% homeworking for that period

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
        Be honest with first client, explain the situation to them and see what they say, if they don't want to play ball then go after the other one

If you feel you need to butter up first client might be good idea to be willing to do without the rate rise this time around in exchange for them letting you doing 100% homeworking for that period
        Agreed.

Dont push for a rate increase if you need them to be flexible.

Family first, work second. Not very contractor ish but as long as the wife is ok do you really care where you are working and what doing.

Even if you had to take a half rate for the 6 weeks its not the end of the world.

Comment

Tony, hope it all works out well. I'd try for the 100% home working. If not move near home tell them upfront.
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

The first client knows that she will need a transplant at some time and a few in the office know that it will be soon - the thing I don't think they have realised is that it will take up a lot of my time while she gets better. I'm willing to give up any rise so that I can stay on - if the current gig was commutable this wouldn't really be an issue - unfortunately it isn't, so it is an issue.

The second role is easier to play - I intend going through with the application and seeing how it goes. If the operation goes ahead when predicted, the kids will be at school and I can play on the 'it came out of the blue thing' and that she was going to get hooked up to a machine when a kidney became available. Her sister is in debt, so I have the option of giving her say £50 a time to look after the sprogs after school so that I can continue working.
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

If you have some cash in the bank then I would personally commit 100% to the family, at least for a number of weeks. Then I would look to get back into the market.

Best wishes for what lies ahead...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                The first client knows that she will need a transplant at some time and a few in the office know that it will be soon - the thing I don't think they have realised is that it will take up a lot of my time while she gets better. I'm willing to give up any rise so that I can stay on - if the current gig was commutable this wouldn't really be an issue - unfortunately it isn't, so it is an issue.

The second role is easier to play - I intend going through with the application and seeing how it goes. If the operation goes ahead when predicted, the kids will be at school and I can play on the 'it came out of the blue thing' and that she was going to get hooked up to a machine when a kidney became available. Her sister is in debt, so I have the option of giving her say £50 a time to look after the sprogs after school so that I can continue working.
                Tony have you found anyone to look after your wife yet?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I would have to agree with Ratewhore - if you are in a position to be able to take a break for a few weeks then I would. If not then come clean with the client - you never know. Whatever you decide I hope all goes well

Comment

"Tony have you found anyone to look after your wife yet?"

Nope - Figuring on it being me. I had already decided to be up front and tell them when it happens and see what their reaction is. Have the cash to allow me to stay at home, but don't really want to wittle it away.

The second job, being so close might be viable as I would be able to continue working and get somebody to have the kids untill I get home.

Should hear today about the current clients views as to if they want me - looks likely, but I'm planning on telling them the full situation and let them take it from there.

Cheers for the advice everybody.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                    X