• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maternity Leave

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maternity Leave

Hi all,

Im a contractor and recently discovered my girlfriend is up the duff. Im having a few thousand issues as you can imagine. But one of the main ones is. Am i entitled to maternity leave as a contractor??. I know the department of employment has changed the laws on this in the past few years, however, even though searching through the reams of information available i am still unable to find a definitive answer.

Is anyone able to help??? Oh and if it makes a difference im currently being paid via an umbrella company (only cause im low level support and don't earn enough cash to do otherwise!!).

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Am I entitled to maternity leave as a contractor?

If YOU are pregnant, perhaps.

If YOU are not pregnant: NO

HTH

tim

Comment

Youshould be able to claim SPP (Statutary Paternity Pay) it's not much.

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cbr-smp/sum_spp_birth.htm

speak to the Brollie they shold know more

MG

Comment

From Tax Bulletin 71

Civil Penalties for Statutory Sick and Maternity Pay

Employers’ failures to meet their obligations under Statutory Sick and
        Maternity Pay schemes are dealt with by a series of minor criminal offences.
        This is out of step with the compliance regimes that exist for tax, NICs,
        tax credits and the Statutory Paternity and Adoption Pay schemes. This Bill
        introduces a better and more proportionate response to employers who attempt
        to avoid their obligations by introducing a civil penalty system for the
        non-compliant which is identical to that introduced in the Employment Act
        2002 for Statutory Paternity and Adoption Pay.

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/...tb71.htm#8

Comment

Re:TB71

Rob - think that link should be

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/...tb71.htm#2

then look under Civil Penalties for Statutory Sick and Maternity Pay

Comment

Re: Re:TB71

If YOU are pregnant, perhaps.

If YOU are not pregnant: NO

HTH

tim
            Actually tim it doesn't - do you get some sort of allowance for suffering from PMT :lol

Comment

Re: Re:TB71

why not. I answered the guy's question.

He (presumably) isn't pregnant, so I told him that he can't get maternity pay, which is what he asked,

tim

Comment

Working...
              X