• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passport? Don't I sound English?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passport? Don't I sound English?

I updated my CV this afternoon and posted it to umpteen websites (Jobserve, IT Job Board, that kinda stuff) being now into day 33 of unemployment. About an hour later I get an email from an agency confirming they have put my CV on record and an interesting line in their email read:-

"If you have not already done so, I will need you to supply me with a copy of your passport, or other photographic ID, showing your nationality and authorisation to work in the UK to satisfy legislative requirements"

Never have I been asked for this on any contrat I've done before. I was born in this bl**dy country, I have a traditional English first and surname! Are some of these agencies now acting as John "Oh, hasn't it turned out nice again" Reid's asylum police?

Has anyone else had to go through this.

Yes. Well no its actally a lie. They all pretend that they had this off me.

Your answer should follow the lines of: I am working as a Ltd company and I have carried out all the checks on my staff to ensure that they are legal to work in the uk.

The agency shouldnt need this if you are Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet
      Yes. Well no its actally a lie. They all pretend that they had this off me.

Your answer should follow the lines of: I am working as a Ltd company and I have carried out all the checks on my staff to ensure that they are legal to work in the uk.

The agency shouldnt need this if you are Ltd.

Actually, I am a Ltd Company so I could legitimately tell 'em to p*ss off!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyajae
        Actually, I am a Ltd Company so I could legitimately tell 'em to p*ss off!
        Exactly. Agencies are meant to check thier staff can work in the UK. Politley tell them that you are a contractor working through your own Ltd so they dont have to worry thier pretty little heads about it.

Comment

"I have a traditional English first and surname" -
          so does Gerry Adams.

ps I reckon your signature actually means "even now, innkeeper". A bit late in the day for me to suggest an improvement though...maybe "idem iterum, caupone"

Comment

Working...
          X