• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Self assessment snafu

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self assessment snafu

Hey Mr Inland Revenue,

Thanks for telling me the results of the tax calculation you've just done for 2005-2006, based on the tax return I sent in January this year, like you asked.

Thanks also for letting me pay it in two equal instalments: one due in January 2006 and one due in July 2006. I can only apologise for my lapse of foresight back last Jan, and state in my defence that we were still in the middle of the tax year.

At least you cushioned the blow by telling me that I might have already paid it (highly unlikely given the timescale), and that if I have paid it you're not going to tell me now, but that I can wait for a "statement of account" to find out but best not to because that would make me even later.

While you're about it, why not tell me to quote my "self assessment reference" from the form: but then hide that number in the middle of 3 other reference numbers and label it "UTR" instead, just to shake things up even more?

Originally posted by thunderlizard
    why not tell me to quote my "self assessment reference" from the form: but then hide that number in the middle of 3 other reference numbers and label it "UTR" instead, just to shake things up even more?
    Big Consultancy that was implementing this overpriced solution quotes £5 more billions to make the form user-friendly.

HTH

Comment

What really annoys me is the way we have all this crap even when we don't have any income.

At end of 2005/2006 tax year, one of my companies had still to repay all the money invested by the directors so no tax was due but we still had nearly two years of doing crap annual PAYE forms, CT forms and nil payslips plus stuff on the personal tax return. I have just started another company and no doubt will get registered for PAYE again although I never asked for it, and will have all the same for that too.

Why don't the parasite buggers at least wait until there is actually some taxable profit before they waste our time?

PS Yes, I have found the inconsistent naming of numbers confusing too.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
      X