• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any Adam Curtis fans here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Adam Curtis fans here?

I think his stuff is fascinating. I've seen The Power of Nightmares, The Century of the Self, and Pandor's Box. BBC 2 has a new show by him on tonight:

The Trap: What Happened to Our Dreams...

Sun 11 Mar, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

The Trap: What Happened to Our Dreams of Freedom

F**k You Buddy: A series of films by BAFTA-winning producer Adam Curtis that tells the story of the rise of today's narrow idea of freedom. It will show how a simplistic model of human beings as self-seeking, almost robotic, creatures led to today's idea of freedom. This model was derived from ideas and techniques developed by nuclear strategists during the Cold War. It was then taken up by genetic biologists, anthropologists, radical psychiatrists and free market economists, until it became a new system of invisible control. With some strong language.

I loved him on "That's Life"
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus
      I think his stuff is fascinating. I've seen The Power of Nightmares, The Century of the Self, and Pandor's Box. BBC 2 has a new show by him on tonight:

The Trap: What Happened to Our Dreams...

Sun 11 Mar, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

The Trap: What Happened to Our Dreams of Freedom

F**k You Buddy: A series of films by BAFTA-winning producer Adam Curtis that tells the story of the rise of today's narrow idea of freedom. It will show how a simplistic model of human beings as self-seeking, almost robotic, creatures led to today's idea of freedom. This model was derived from ideas and techniques developed by nuclear strategists during the Cold War. It was then taken up by genetic biologists, anthropologists, radical psychiatrists and free market economists, until it became a new system of invisible control. With some strong language.
      Hmm, didn't see the first show but I watched the one last night.

I found his arguments reminiscent of something I saw about a decade ago.

I was staying at a mates house after a night out. I was up first so I was flicking though the TV channels to find something to watch. There was nothing to watch and I ended up on "The God Channel" (there really was nothing to watch!) and I ended up listening to this bloke talking about the loss of freedom due to the imposition of monitorist economic policy in the USA under Reagan and the UK under Thatcher. He went on to explain that these ideas had been tried first in a small country - New Zealand (he was chronologically wrong on that).

He finished up by claiming that the force behind these schemes turning up across the whole world regardless of country was the hand of the Masons. And that the chief Mason is Satan.

I will look forward to watching on Sunday to find out where Adam goes with this.

Comment

Working...
      X