• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oslo was gutte but..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oslo was gutte but..

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice for my trip to Norway with my 16 year old lad. Particularly the helpful soul who advised that I take bottles of wine for bartering, because ale is sooo expensive in Scandanavia.
    I brought it all back with me and the missus is swigging it down now

It was a cracking trip and we did 3k miles in 5 days, plus I got to chat with him , close up and personal, something thats hard with a 16 year old lad.

I wanted to cross the mountains in Norway, so I asked the info people 'are the roads open' - 'ja ze roads are open three weeks , ploughed and salted three times a day'. So I set off from Oslo to Bergen and it went well till I got within 30 miles of Bergen when the wheels started spinning and we ended up going backwards down the mountain.

My lad was filming at the time, and its scary to hear him ask, are we going to die dad? er probably mate.

Some locals helped me dig the car out of the snow drift that we landed in and we headed back down the mountain, although many cars were still making it up where we had stalled. None of them had chains or studs so the only thing I can imagine is that they had winter tyres

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist
    I want to thank everyone who gave me advice for my trip to Norway with my 16 year old lad. Particularly the helpful soul who advised that I take bottles of wine for bartering, because ale is sooo expensive in Scandanavia.
    I brought it all back with me and the missus is swigging it down now

It was a cracking trip and we did 3k miles in 5 days, plus I got to chat with him , close up and personal, something thats hard with a 16 year old lad.

I wanted to cross the mountains in Norway, so I asked the info people 'are the roads open' - 'ja ze roads are open three weeks , ploughed and salted three times a day'. So I set off from Oslo to Bergen and it went well till I got within 30 miles of Bergen when the wheels started spinning and we ended up going backwards down the mountain.

My lad was filming at the time, and its scary to hear him ask, are we going to die dad? er probably mate.

Some locals helped me dig the car out of the snow drift that we landed in and we headed back down the mountain, although many cars were still making it up where we had stalled. None of them had chains or studs so the only thing I can imagine is that they had winter tyres

Of course they had winter tyres. Warmer climates than Norway mandate winter tyres for the whole of the season.

A local is not going to leave home without them. Not because it's against the law (which it is), but because it's stupid to do othewise. I guess they all assumed you knew this.

tim

Comment

Just about to start a job in Bergen, go on then what's it like? Need to rent somewhere...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Beer - dear
        snow tyres - a must for the discerning driver
        gloves and wooly hat - recommended
        beer - dear
        Bottles of wine for bribery - forget it
        Toll roads - in and out of Oslo
        Blondes with big boobies - many
        Accomodation - sparse (book very early)

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work