• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bass Guitars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass Guitars

Project going well, we recorded "All I have to do is dream" for promotion and it sounded quite good

Any advice on cheap reasonable quality bass guitars appreciated. We're doing 50's music.

What makes .... eg Epiphone ? semi-acoustic ?
    I'm alright Jack

Depends what you call cheap. If you want a 50's sound and are happy with 4 strings, you could do worse that get a Fender Precision

Comment

Fender Precision - the classic bass. I have two, a Fender Sunn Precision (cheaper version - equivalent of Squier for guitars) which is pretty beaten up now, and regular Fender one.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Go for Fender Squire if you want quality at reasonible prices.

Comment

Thx for the advice all appreciated.

As I was eyeing the Epiphone 335 semi-acoustic (the other one I'm looking at) a colleague said "you're looking at my guitar" So I can try it out and see how it compares to the Ric.

I'm trying to get a "biting" sound comparable with the guitar sound on some Buddy Holly, Elvis records, but I think that will mainly achieved through the amplifier.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

The 335 is a great guitar but I'm not so sure about the bass. I've yet to hear a decent sound out of a Gibson/Epiphone bass

Comment

Thx that's interesting.

I'm looking at Gibson/Epiphone as a normal lead/rythm guitar.

But it is good to know just get a Fender bass.

Going back to Fender:

I did see you could even get cheap Fender strats, which surprised me.

Is that new

I thought they were expensive.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                but I think that will mainly achieved through the amplifier.
                Yep. With a decent amplifier the main difference between all kinds of similar guitars (ie comparing solid body with solid body and same number of pickups etc) is mainly in the feel of how they play.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
                  Thx that's interesting.

I'm looking at Gibson/Epiphone as a normal lead/rythm guitar.

But it is good to know just get a Fender bass.

Going back to Fender:

I did see you could even get cheap Fender strats, which surprised me.

Is that new

I thought they were expensive.
                  Fender have a "budget" brand called Squier. They're still Fenders guitars, and many swear they're actually better - grittier sound, staying in tune better etc. I have a Squier Strat as my main axe.

Comment

Thought so...I think with a valve amp I'll get that authentic "raw" sound, that sounds very similar whatever guitar was being used i.e. Buddy Holly using a strat, others using Gibson. The other thing I find makes quite a difference is the strings.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X