View Full Version : Tranfering shares and capital gains tax

13th August 2004, 11:16
I setup a limited company online yesterday but the information send to Companies House is wrong.

It has me as the secretary and my partner as the director (with all the shares).

The company I used said I can change this for free after CH accepts the registration - but will I not be liable for capital gains tax on the shares transfered to me?


Darren at 1st Accountancy Serv Ltd
13th August 2004, 11:25
Nope....reason being the company/shares will not be worth anything as it's only just been set up.

13th August 2004, 11:38
Thanks, thats very helpful.

So I just fill the Companies House form and send it off?

Darren at 1st Accountancy Serv Ltd
13th August 2004, 12:19
Yes, but take a copy of the forms before you send them off....also, use registered post!

We've had a few things go missing at Companise House over the last few months. :rolleyes

15th August 2004, 16:23
Ignore bollox. Misread question.

16th August 2004, 09:53
So what form is it? a J30?

CH website says:
To transfer shares in a private or unlimited company, a seller must complete and sign the appropriate section of a 'stock transfer form', available from law stationers, and pass it, together with the share certificate, to the new owner.

The new owner must then complete their section of the stock transfer form, pay any stamp duty to the Inland Revenue and pass the completed form and share certificate to the company. The company secretary will then arrange for the directors to authorise the change to the members' register and issue a share certificate in the new name.

I haven't issued any share certificates yet, does this matter?



20th August 2004, 18:04
can anyone help please?


20th August 2004, 20:51
I found a copy here www.capitaregistrars.com/PDFs/stock.pdf (http://www.capitaregistrars.com/PDFs/stock.pdf)
Just fill it in, and fill in the back saying that category L is appropriate so there's no stamp duty.

Remember to reflect the change in your next CH annual return.

PS there should be no CGT implications unless your partner is connected in some way or charges for the shares when you transfer