• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expert Witness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expert Witness

Have any of you ever been approached to be an expert witness before?

I've been approached to be one on a failed computing project. Don't know whether I'm "fighting for" the client or the software house yet (0bviously the agent was sketchy with their details at this stage).

It seems quite interesting, but obviously I wouldn't want to go against either the client OR the software houseif there was a chance they could bring me work in the future!

The package looks amazing though, £800 per day, for 3 days a week, for a minimum of 1 month or a maximum of a year if the case goes to court.

Do any of you expert IT bods have any experience in this?

I know people who have been asked to be expert witnesses in forensic cases. They tell me you are in danger of being ripped to pieces unless you know your onions 100%

If you get discredited you are pretty much fecked, although I appreciate in forensic cases it is a reasonably small community...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

I was asked a few years ago but at the last minute they decided they did not need me, they used some director from CISCO instead.
      The case was lost.
      Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by AdviceSeeker
        Have any of you ever been approached to be an expert witness before?

I've been approached to be one on a failed computing project. Don't know whether I'm "fighting for" the client or the software house yet (0bviously the agent was sketchy with their details at this stage).

It seems quite interesting, but obviously I wouldn't want to go against either the client OR the software houseif there was a chance they could bring me work in the future!

The package looks amazing though, £800 per day, for 3 days a week, for a minimum of 1 month or a maximum of a year if the case goes to court.

Do any of you expert IT bods have any experience in this?
        I think you find you need to be on the “Courts Expert Witness” Lists. You can find the list on the net.

As well as technical expertise you will know about preparing and presenting your case notes. You will also need credible references, without them you may be shot down by any competent barrister.

Also many cases in the past few years will require only one expert witness to give an independent view for both sides on the case.

Don’t think that it's easy money, loads of prep work.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
        X