• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service

Anyone on here been approached? I don’t think I could afford to do it, are the rules different for self employed people? You can hardly drop what you're doing and say I'm off for anything between 2 and 6 weeks... on £56 pd
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

I did 2 weeks, it cost me 3.5 k and was a COMPLETE waste of time. The jury system is broke in this country.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

It should be possible to get jury service deferred to the end of contract if you ask nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi
        Anyone on here been approached? I don’t think I could afford to do it
        Rubbish.

If you don't like living in a just society where there is rule of law supported by the people themselves when they are called up as a jury then go and live in some 3rd world country - there you won't have to be a jury and can just buy justice in court with a bribe.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
          Rubbish.

If you don't like living in a just society where there is rule of law supported by the people themselves when they are called up as a jury then go and live in some 3rd world country - there you won't have to be a jury and can just buy justice in court with a bribe.

AtW, I understand your point of view because you come from a country where a village policemen on $200 a month will be driving around in his private BMW MPV. However corruption is rife in this county too. The difference is that people in the UK have practiced it for years and so they don’t make it so noticeable. Many many court cases are fixed either with the judge or jury in this country.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            Many many court cases are fixed either with the judge or jury in this country.
            Bullsh1t: I was in court once and decision that was made (mostly in my favour) was very balanced and I agree with the judge even when he did not make ruling in my favour.

I also read a lot of cases and find decisions very well balanced - there are rare exception but they are mainly linked to the fact that the Govt does not build enough jails so judges can't send people into jails for long enough.

There is justice in this country (though obviously it won't work 100% of the time), and being selected for the jury service is part of the civic responsibility to maintain just society, so stop whining and consider it an honour to be selected as a juror.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
              Bullsh1t: I was in court once and decision that was made (mostly in my favour) was very balanced and I agree with the judge even when he did not make ruling in my favour.

I also read a lot of cases and find decisions very well balanced - there are rare exception but they are mainly linked to the fact that the Govt does not build enough jails so judges can't send people into jails for long enough.

There is justice in this country (though obviously it won't work 100% of the time), and being selected for the jury service is part of the civic responsibility to maintain just society, so stop whining and consider it an honour to be selected as a juror.

AtW, because you have a one case at the Small Claims Court, it does not make you and expert. I have been in Court more times than you had beetroot soup. I have three barristers and two solicitors in my near family and I have one close friend who is a black QC. They all know about legal corruption. The main corruption comes from barristers who also work a judges.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

But if I came from a 3rd world country I would never be asked and the same applies if I had criminal record, so there you go crime does pay.

It’s alright for permies as almost all companies understand the system and allow suitable leave, I know a permie who was called up for 2 weeks and ended up doing it for 6, this could ruin a business.

I think you can defer once.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

If you want to avoid jury service for the rest of your life either marry a police officer or commit a crime.

Comment

I read about legal cases from papers and find that a lot of decisions seem pretty fair, the only main issue I have is low prison sentences but this is due to lack of prisons and this is fault of the Govt. Another issue is current bias towards women in divorce cases, but this is legislation that is driven by Govt.

Corruption is when judge takes bribes and makes decisions that are not based on law - there sure some mistakes, perhaps they are driven by bribes, but you can always appeal and solid cases get justice in the end.

Anyway, in important criminal cases it is the jury who decides if someone guilty or not - which is precisely why all good citizens should consider it an honour to serve as a jury, loss of income is regrettable and Govt should do more about compensation (maybe from the party that loses court case), but to ignore responsibility of a juror by saying justice is corrupt is rubbish - you - the juror - is the one who will make decision guilty/not-guilty, the only corruption to worry about if whether YOU are corrupt or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X