• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learning the Drums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning the Drums

Is it possible for a novice to learn how to play the drums, within a few weeks to a reasonable standard, or ist really difficult ?

I mean just play a simple beat.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates
    Is it possible for a novice to learn how to play the drums, within a few weeks to a reasonable standard, or ist really difficult ?

how simple?

I would say it is possible if you have some musical sense already

also depends on how much you can practice in those 2 weeks. 15 mins a day might not do it, 3 hours a day, definitely
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I'm a guitarist, but can play the drums to quite a good standard.

It's all hand/foot coordination - I spent years tapping away on my legs and banging my feet (I was in a mental home - dribbled a bit too) - when I got behind a drum kit for the first time, it was pretty simple - stick with 4/4 initially
      Call the cops

Comment

I did see a band once and the guy played a side drum if I remember correctly, sounded brilliant. It was a simple beat but effective.

We were mucking around with a drum machine at the weekend but it was awful, might be worth trying a side drum.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

what next? Tamborine?
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I did see a band once and the guy played a side drum if I remember correctly, sounded brilliant. It was a simple beat but effective.

We were mucking around with a drum machine at the weekend but it was awful, might be worth trying a side drum.
            Side drums are a bit gay - nothing wrong with that sort of thing of course...some of my best mates are gay.

Get a proper drum kit, yer big poof - again, said in a jocular way, rather than any kind of homophobic put down
            Call the cops

Comment

How do you get a drummer away from your door step?.................

Pay him for the pizza

Comment

Originally posted by pisces
                How do you get a drummer away from your door step?.................

Pay him for the pizza
                I suggest you get your coat, and 'op it!
                Call the cops

Comment

I'd always wanted to play the drums and my missus bought me a lesson last birthday.

Was an hour lesson and was really surprised that by the end of it was able to play a 4/4 beat with couple of variations etc... he got me to drum along with some simple songs and recorded it, and was pretty reasonable. I was chuffed anyway!!

Been meaning to book some more in as this guy was really good but workin away a bit at mo so will have to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by freakydancer
                    I suggest you get your coat, and 'op it!
                    What do you call someone who hangs around with musicians?

Comment

Working...
                    X