• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Myth 1 - Volcanoes release more CO2 than man

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myth 1 - Volcanoes release more CO2 than man

http://volcano.und.edu/vwdocs/Gases/man.html
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

How the hell can anyone reconcile
    Present-day carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from subaerial and submarine volcanoes are uncertain at the present time[my emphasis].
    With but that is a lot less than Man.
    Go on then SAS how many active spouts are there on the deep ocean floor? What is there actual output?
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

As we are doing selective quotes out of context, here's mine (my emphasis):

It's a simple question with a complicated answer

Doesn't the link go on to estimate the amount caused by volcanoes and conclude it is a small fraction of the man-made?

Weren't we told on the "Swindle" program that man-made emissions are dwarfed by volcanic ones? Where did they get evidence for that statement?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
        As we are doing selective quotes out of context, here's mine (my emphasis):

It's a simple question with a complicated answer

Doesn't the link go on to estimate the amount caused by volcanoes and conclude it is a small fraction of the man-made?

Weren't we told on the "Swindle" program that man-made emissions are dwarfed by volcanic ones? Where did they get evidence for that statement?
        Dont know what the swindle program said, I never watched it, but you can't take a report seriously that states it does not know how big one of the major factors in its comparison is. Even if it is fookin complicated.

One of the links seems to be broken so I can't see the report in the reference section.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

The point of these posts is to debunk the myths the Swindle program was peddling as statements of fact. Next episode will be the relationship between CO2 and temperature which Swindle claimed were related in the opposite way.
          It's a good exercise as I learn more each day. However if the Swindle program is right, I will find out and admit it.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            The point of these posts is to debunk the myths the Swindle program was peddling as statements of fact. Next episode will be the relationship between CO2 and temperature which Swindle claimed were related in the opposite way.
            It's a good exercise as I learn more each day. However if the Swindle program is right, I will find out and admit it.
            Fair enough, but I am not letting you get away with that one as scientific fact.
            There are lots of sources on the web saying similar, but all are based on estimates of undersea volcanic activity and estimates of actual volcanoe outputs based on samples taken from miles away.

I still have an open mind on this subject, but am far from convinced of the "man made" argument.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

sas, haven't you done this volcano thread once before???
              "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
                sas, haven't you done this volcano thread once before???
                Not me, guv
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Isn't science great? One scientist states one thing as fact and everybody believes them. Then another scientist says exactly the opposite. Which is perhaps the biggest flaw in the global warming argument: why should we believe anything scientists say is fact?

Did we have this one (about the 800 year lag of CO2 and warming):

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php...-in-ice-cores/

The reason has to do with the fact that the warmings take about 5000 years to be complete. The lag is only 800 years. All that the lag shows is that CO2 did not cause the first 800 years of warming, out of the 5000 year trend. The other 4200 years of warming could in fact have been caused by CO2, as far as we can tell from this ice core data.

The 4200 years of warming make up about 5/6 of the total warming. So CO2 could have caused the last 5/6 of the warming, but could not have caused the first 1/6 of the warming.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Good find sas.

That point about volcanos was one of the only two supposedly scientific arguments on the program I found convincing. http://www.xoggoth.org/pages/bloggoth.html#c4gw
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X